News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Zimbelstern

Started by diapason, April 01, 2013, 09:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diapason

Not a whole organ: I'm toying with the idea of putting a Zimberstern in the house organ.  Does anyone know of one for sale cheap? (Real, not digital please).

David Wyld

Be very careful - they can be LOUD!

DW :-\

diapason

Yes, it must be a small one  ;D

David Drinkell

Try this link:

http://www.zimbelsternstenger.de/Preisliste.htm

Ads appear in The American Organist from time to time, too. They appear to be quite expensive little blighters.  It would be easy to make one, bearing in mind that the revolving star does not have to have anything to do with the jingly bits, which are generally a separate unit inside the case.  However, success is largely due to the quality of the bells, and properly cast bells are certainly expensive.  It depends what sort of sound you are seeking. Some old examples are the sort of jingle you could get with beer bottle tops.

I wonder if a revolving star plus electronics to make the noise would work.  I've heard one or two which convinced me more than the pipe imitations.

I was once at St. Edmundsbury Cathedral for Evensong when the organist (it was a visiting choir) set the Cimbelstern off during the second lesson and seemed to take a long time to get it off.

I once used the Cimbelstern at Norwich at the end of the Nunc of Dyson in F, but I was very young at the time....

....on the other hand, I also reduced the choir at Ballymena Parish Church to helpless laughter (during a rehearsal, I hasten to add, although they said they had trouble during the service too) by the interpolation of selected tings during 'Wachet auf', and I wasn't nearly so young then.

Doo dooby-doo doo-ah doo-ah doo-ah, dooby-doo doo-ah doo-ah TING, etc.....

It's good if a cimbelstern stops immediately it's shut off.  I've known some which take a while to slow down and cease.

JBR

On the other hand, I wonder whether it would be acceptable to use an electric motor to rotate the star(s)/ring the bells rather than relying on a traditional jet of air.  It would also allow the zimbelstern to stop instantly.

I'm sure even I could put something like that together, although I'd have to shell out for good quality bells (or perhaps buy a few budgie bells from the pet shop!).
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

diapason

Thanks for the comments.  They are certainly far more expensive than I thought.  I'm still hoping (probably in vain) that one might turn up on an organ being broken up, but, otherwise, I might look at home-made.  A 12-volt electric running off the rectifier is easy to sort out - it just needs some small bells - hopefully better than budgie bells, although they would do the job!  Food for thought. I must have a word with a guy I know who is a keen cinema organ restorer.

The only organ which I get to play occasionally with a Zimbelstern is an electronic.  I used it at Advent during Wachet auf and at the Christingle.  Congregation had never heard it used before!  It would be fun to put one on the house organ.  I must also try to source a tremulant.

N

Contrabombarde

Even though I'm not looking for a zimblestern I couldn't resist looking at the website and came across this:

http://www.zimbelsternstenger.de/Hausorgel.htm

What the *&^R is that? Is it a house organ? Church organ? Double organ? One organ two consoles? I can't read German and Google translate didn't offer any further clues, other than it looks like it (they?) are pipe organ(s). Bizarre.

revtonynewnham

Hi

The auto-translate option (and the scale of picture) make it clear that this is a rather complex (and as yet incomplete) house-organ.  I guess the owner likes playing duets for 2 organs!  Or maybe the 2 consoles are optimised for different organ styles?

An ambitious instrument either way.

Every Blessing

Tony