News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Tracker simulation

Started by contrabordun, April 15, 2013, 06:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

contrabordun

Hi everybody,

I'm building a 4 manual Hauptwerk rig for home practice using keyboards bought on ebay, and the key touch is quite soggy. I gather that modern digital organs use a stiff plastic bubble under the key to simulate the tracker feel of a pipe organ, and I'm trying to source a couple of hundred – does anybody know where I could obtain any?

Very grateful for any help ... Google has drawn a blank for once!

thanks

JBR

I don't know why they don't use magnets to simulate tracker touch (in association with normally sprung keys).  A small magnet in each key with a steel strip directly above.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Janner

Quote from: JBR on April 15, 2013, 10:07:50 PM
I don't know why they don't use magnets to simulate tracker touch (in association with normally sprung keys).  A small magnet in each key with a steel strip directly above.

There are systems which use various devices, including magnets, to attempt to simulate tracker touch. Both the examples I'm thinking of are by German builders. As far as I recall, on their websites both appeared to be of good engineering design and high build quality but were also expensive, at least by average amateur standards. One of the makes is, or was, occasionally fitted by at least one UK builder of high quality consoles where tracker touch was requested.

There are other designs, some less expensive, others more so. When I was looking into this a few years ago a big difficulty I had was finding working examples to try out, or finding organists with experience of them who could give reliable and informed opinions. From the little I could gather at the time though, and considering the cost involved, it would seem that trying before buying would be strongly recommended; indeed essential if expensive disappointment were to be avoided.

If you care to send me a PM I will forward some web links. Typing "Tracker touch organ keyboards" into an internet search should also bring up a few references.

Janner

Quote from: contrabordun on April 15, 2013, 06:27:41 PM

Very grateful for any help ... Google has drawn a blank for once!

thanks

PM sent.

Best,

J.