News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

2M 40SS Kingsgate Davidson On Ebay

Started by Contra_Gamba, May 24, 2013, 09:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contra_Gamba

Anyone ever seen or heard the following? Currently on eBay and rather over-extended one suspects.

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=R00554

Barrie Davis

It does look very extended but it would be a good replacement for a toaster in a suitable church.

David Drinkell

This looks very like the instrument that used to stand in St. Leonard-in-the-Fields, Perth (the church with the crown steeple - very prominent in those days before the by-pass was built).

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N18247

I got to know it very well in 1983/4 when I taught at the Scottish Organists' Summer School, which in those days was organised by the late Richard Galloway of Holy Rude, Stirling.  Great times, from what I can remember of them....

It was apparently built for a residence in London and moved to Perth in 1967.  There was, as has been observed, a lot of extension, but it avoided the worst feature of so many unit organs where the upperwork is taken from a rank which is too soft to do the job.  Its worst features were an exceedingly plummy flute rank on the Great and a serious lack of weight in the Pedal Organ.  The trumpet rank was very good - free and splashy.

It wasn't really big enough for the church, despite a good position, divided in the west gallery. At the time, serious consideration was being given to replacing it with another instrument, but I don't know what, if anything,  happened.  NPOR mentions work by the local builder David Loosley in 1985.

I think it would have been a very nice residence organ and it would probably suit a moderately sized church, especially if tweaked a bit, with the replacement of that flute and some attention to the bass provision.  I've always considered Kingsgate Davidson to be a good firm who had a progressive outlook, and I've usually been impressed by their work.

Contra_Gamba

allenb72

Hi All,

I am the chap who placed the only bid on ebay for the above instrument and won.

I've been trying to get photos out of the sellers but to no avail - I'm starting to sense alarm bells and have not released any funds.

Does this organ still exist and is it still playable? How big are the cabinets?

I'm no organ builder and need to dismantle it but have no idea of the size.

Can anyone possibly answer any of my questions please?

allenb72

O.K.  the organ exists but no one knows where the blower is to switch it on. Any ideas anyone please?

David Drinkell

I knew the organ when it stood in Perth, so I don't know how the layout may have changed when it was moved.  There wasn't anything odd about the winding then, so I didn't give it a second thought.  I guess the only way to find the bloewr is to find where the wind enters the reservoir and trace that trunk back to wherever it starts.

allenb72

Anybody looking for the big metal and wooden pedal stops or facade pipework on the Kingsgate Davidson or any other parts, please call me Allen Brooks on 077 233 68204.

The dismantling project starts tomorrow and will have to scrap the big parts if  no one is interested.

David Drinkell