News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Yet another one!

Started by revtonynewnham, October 10, 2013, 09:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

Words fail me - virtually dumping a pi-pe organ in favour of an electronic.  I guess they might regret the decision in 15-20 years - but then it will be too late.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281183026492?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Every Blessing

Tony

diapason

I saw that, and dread to think what a 'compact electronic' might be .....  a Hammond?

Paul Duffy

This landslide of redundant pipe organs is fast turning into an avalanche.....

Best wishes,
Paul.

JBR

No doubt the anonymous 'benefactor' believes he has done them a great favour!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

David Drinkell

I see that the instrument in question is in Kingsbridge, but it isn't one of those listed on NPOR.  If anyone knows which church it's in, perhaps they could let NPOR know before it's too late.

Janner

Quote from: David Drinkell on October 11, 2013, 05:14:51 AM
I see that the instrument in question is in Kingsbridge, but it isn't one of those listed on NPOR............

Going by the 'phone number, it is almost certain to be this one:

http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=N13302

The church was destroyed by a bomb in WW II and, according to local history, was rebuilt using stone gathered locally. It also lost its peal of eight bells, sold for scrap; presumably to help raise funds for the rebuilding.

David Drinkell

Yes - that's the one.  Thanks.  The organ itself looks just a bit scruffy round the edges if it was new in the 1970s, don't you think?

Janner

Quote from: David Drinkell on October 12, 2013, 07:20:58 AM
Yes - that's the one.  Thanks.  The organ itself looks just a bit scruffy round the edges if it was new in the 1970s, don't you think?

The last time I visited the church, probably some fifteen years ago, my impression was of being rather down at heel generally inside but some pictures on their website suggest it is in better shape now. Perhaps I visited at a bad time; maybe a redecoration project has been carried out since. The bombing obviously didn't help; the place was not quite flattened but almost. It was a very old church and no doubt they lost some interesting artefacts and possibly some stained glass windows as a result, although from pictures of the old church it looks as though an attempt was made to rebuild it on the original lines.

Memory is a bit hazy but that organ seems a tad on the small side for the church. With all the redundant pipe organs around nowadays it's tempting to wonder whether, if a replacement was on the cards, something along those lines might have been achieved, but shouldn't be critical without knowing more of the facts I suppose. I know from experience that some 'transplants' can turn out to be surprisingly difficult to implement, even when everyone is in favour of the project.

Can't help wondering though whether an opportunity might have been missed.

David Drinkell

Interesting church history on the village website:

http://www.aveton-gifford.co.uk/index.php/church/church-history

Restoration of the church was in 1957, not 1975 - I think there may be a typo on NPOR.  If the organ was built in 1957, the mild scruffiness today would be understandable.  It's nearly as old as I am!

A big, cruciform church, although slightly reduced after being nearly completed destroyed by World War II bombs.  I suppose it might be argued that a toaster could have two sets of speakers and therefore be used east or west of the crossing as necessary.

Janner

Quote from: David Drinkell on October 12, 2013, 03:31:19 PM

A big, cruciform church, ............  I suppose it might be argued that a toaster could have two sets of speakers and therefore be used east or west of the crossing as necessary.

Mmm......  Just possibly perhaps. You are looking for a silver lining maybe? The adjective applied to the compact electronic organ seems to be regarded as an important virtue. I wonder what will occupy the space gained as a consequence?  :-\

All pure speculation of course.

diapason

Quote from: Janner on October 13, 2013, 06:25:19 AM
Quote from: David Drinkell on October 12, 2013, 03:31:19 PM
I wonder what will occupy the space gained as a consequence?  :-\

Jimmy Shand and his band perhaps?