News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Wanted: Hill Clarion 4'

Started by diapason, October 14, 2013, 06:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diapason

We have recently restored our 1898 Hill to its original specification and condition.  We have a spare slide on the Swell which originally held a 4' Clarion and are looking to replace it.  Our organ builder is trying to source a suitable rank, but it's maybe worth asking on here as well.  William Hill 4' Clarion of around 1900, without a harmonic top half.  Does anyone now of anything suitable for sale please?

David Wyld

Unless the Clarion is Harmonic, then you will be looking at approximately 17 notes of flues for the trebles, also a bit weak above treble c.   :-\

DW

diapason

The question is really one of originality.  Having spent a lot of money restoring everything to the 1896 specification - and getting grants to do this - we don't want to now fit a stop which will detract from that originality.  If we could find some Hill pipework of the correct vintage, it would really finish the job off properly.  If we can't ........ ?  Our organbuilder has got a later Walker Clarion with a harmonic treble, but we're not sure at the moment.
N

Contra_Gamba

I contacted Gary Owens of GO Organs Ltd and he has a Hill Clarion 4' in stock - he's away from his workshop and needs to double check if it is harmonic or not.  Try emailing him on  go.organs@gmail.com

Regards,

Chris Smith

diapason

Many thanks, Chris.  I'll pass this on to Andrew Fearn who did the rebuild.  He can speak to Gary and make sure that it's suitable.  I'll go up and collect it if it's ok.  This forum is, as always, very helpful.
Nigel