News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

8' Tuba for sale

Started by Light_bulb, October 23, 2013, 12:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Light_bulb

Hi all,

I recovered an old pipe organ from a church here in New Zealand that was getting scrapped. I've never heard it going, but I'm told that the Tuba was overbearingly loud for the church. That being the case, it most certainly won't be suitable for my home.

According to a scribble on the wind chest it was on approx 6" WP.
I have the wind chest available too, but given that I live in New Zealand, it might be a bit difficult and expensive to ship as well as the pipes. The chest is electro pneumatic at first glance. I may be wrong. It stood alone from the rest of the organ.
The resonators have a high lead percentage. They are very heavy. Bottom octave are mitred and point straight up, everything else points forward.
All pipes speak, and speak loudly.

I'm interested to see whether there is anyone here who might be interested in doing a deal for them.
My pipe organ wishlist includes:
- A stack of four matching manuals
- A quint mixture
- A not so loud 8' trumpet

David Pinnegar

Please forgive my flippant reply but you might have to simply end up having fun setting up the Tuba at the back of the garage . . . from where it might be a tolerable volume in the house!

It sounds a most useful addon for a church somewhere and easy to achieve . . . What is the state of organ appreciation in NZ?

Best wishes

David P

Barrie Davis

I like Davids suggestion!!!!

Have you got the specification of the organ you saved, it would be interesting to see, was the church one of the ones badly damaged in the earthquakes?

Best wishes

Barrie

Ps Have you any idea what the current situation is regarding the Christchurch Town Hall organ?

Light_bulb

Hi all,

This organ was in Lower Hutt since the mid to late 50's, I believe. It was a Christy organ (theatre wing of Hill, Norman and Beard), modified extensively by Monk and Gunther, who replaced the console and removed the toy counter, and imported into New Zealand after WW2.
It has the following ranks:
Bourdon 16' -> 2' (pierced stoppers from 4' c)
8 -> 2 Dulciana
8 -> 4 Open Diapason
8 -> 4 Geigen Principal
8 Salicional
8 Celeste (TC)
4 Rohr Flute (added in the 60's)
8 Clarinet
8 Tuba (58 reeds, 3 flues, top 3-4 octaves are harmonic).

The organ used to speak on about 6-7" WP, but was reduced to around 4 1/2". I don't know how well or otherwise the voicing was, as the church bought a digital organ several years ago and the organ's console cable was cut.

The 16' bourdon is the largest scale bourdon I've ever seen. It's 8' CC is the same scale as the 16' CCC on the other bourdon I have.