News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Blackpool Opera house wurlitzer

Started by barniclecompton, March 28, 2010, 07:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barniclecompton

N/A

revtonynewnham

Hi

You state that S.J. Wright were primarily church organ builders - a search on NPOR doesn't show any work by S. Wright or S.J. Wright - and the firm isn't listed in the Dictionary of British Organ Builders.  What evidence do you have for your statement?  I thought that Wright employed some organ builders when he got the Wurlitzer concession.

Every Blessing

Tony
P.S.  I gave up a search just for "Wright" because I got a load of results for Rest Cartwright and I didn't have time to look through them all - and also there had been earlier builders called Wright (see DBOB)

Every Blessing

Tony

revtonynewnham

Hi

DBOB is actually very reliable - I would say at least 95% - although it does (as stated) only cover the period up to 1950.  As to NPOR as a whole, we're probably running at about 85-90% of current pipe organs listed - at least in England, Wales, Scotland & N. Ireland are not (yet) so complete.  I'm well aware of the state of NPOR - I'm one of the editors, and once the current backlog is down to manageable proportions, I'm hoping to have a blitz on entering theatre organs - which are very time consuming to research, as it involves trying to locate the address of the original building, and then - except where the organ is known to have been destroyed - trying to trace it's subsequent history.  Each one can easily take half a day or more of research for even a basic entry - longer if we manage to find a stop list.  The obvious on-line sources don't always give info on locations apart from the (often notional given the propensity for theatre organ preservationists to swap ranks and install additional ones!) and the current location.

However, criticizing NPOR doesn't answer my question!  I look forward to your evidence for saying that Wrights were primarily a church organ builder.

Every Blessing

Tony