News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Main organ - Birmingham oratory

Started by Neil Crawford, December 17, 2013, 11:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Crawford

I have a few organs which need to go on this list.

This organ restored by Nicholson organs in 1987, a 4 manual is no longer used for daily/sunday services and used only for the occasional concert.
ther organ is still in good condition but the organ is not under regular maintenance and under under management of concert promoter/manager.

see

http://www.nicholsonorgans.co.uk/portfolio/the-oratory-church-of-st-philip-neri-birmingham/gallery/completed-projects/

Barrie Davis

John Pryor the former organist of the Oratory is now at St Augustines Edgbaston, I did not realise the organ was now not used so much.

Neil Crawford

JP has spoken to me about this last Sunday, he didn't know this had happened.

Barrie Davis

I think its a lot to do with the people in charge. Its a shame as JP built a westend organ for them as well, this was the H&H from Clent.

Barrie

Neil Crawford

The Oratory have now banned concerts so what is to happen with the main organ.

flared_ophicleide

Hopefully, the organ at least will remain in situ, unless there is an appeal to continue to use it for concerts.  The powers that be can tend to get on your wick at times.  Fortunately, this tosser of a priest, who wanted to sell this organ we've been working so hard on, recently got his cards.

Recently, I picked up a CD of it. Organ Works of Basil Harwood, Priory Records.  Though a CD cannot do any organ as much justice as if one were actually there listening to it, I found this organ to be very fine and the church's acoustics to match, not to mention, a well-appointed case as well.

Barrie Davis

Is the 2 manual Harrison still there?

Neil Crawford

Flared _ ophiclide , can you confirm the main organ was only used for concerts recently?