News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Christchurch Summerfield Birmingham

Started by Barrie Davis, December 18, 2013, 10:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

This 3 manual Nicholson organ is now unplayable, there are no plans to restore it due to lack of funds. The stairs to the console are extremely dangerous, the Swell was electrified at some point but the pipework is typical of Nicholsons work and worth preserving. Rev Tony Newnham is one of the former organists of the church.

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

That doesn't surprise me - the church was far from rich when I was there for a year or so in the mid '70's.  At least the organ was playable then - but the Swell action was very sluggish, which made use of the Swell to Great couplers interesting, to say the least.

I thought I'd heard that an electronic went in a while back.

The stairs to the console was reputedly overlooked by the architect - you had to open what looked like a cupboard door in the corner of the  choir vestry - from there the narrow stairs ascended at a 45 degree angle and a 180 degree turn - with the widest part of the tread being less than a foot, tapering to nothing - this was followed by a straight run that brought you to the organ loft between the main organ and the front pipes of the Nave front.  No handrail!  Not a staircase to navigate in a hurry!

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi Tony,

I spoke to the Priest from there a couple of weeks ago at the local crematorium, he said they were looking at another electronic, so the replacement may have been a temporary one.

I could never negotiate those stairs again!!!

Best wishes

Barrie