News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

William Drake RIP

Started by revtonynewnham, January 13, 2014, 10:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

News posted by Organists' Review last night of the death of organ builder William Drake - perhaps best known for his restorations of Early English organs, and new -builds in that style.

Every Blessing

Tony

pcnd5584

Quote from: revtonynewnham on January 13, 2014, 10:45:01 AM
Hi

News posted by Organists' Review last night of the death of organ builder William Drake - perhaps best known for his restorations of Early English organs, and new -builds in that style.

Every Blessing

Tony

Ah - very sad. He had been unwell for a while, I believe.

I wonder what will happen to the parts of the former instrument which he removed from Christ Church, Spitalfields, which he was storing in his own workshop. (I am not sure how far along this had progressed, but there was some talk of him eventually carrying-out the restoration and re-installation of this organ.)
Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

revtonynewnham

Hi

I think I saw somewhere that the firm is continuing and SPitalfields is currently being worked on.  Hopefully, it will be completed.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi

I saw a post yesterday from John Mander saying that the Spitafields restoration is going ahead in Bill Drakes workshops. He really produced some fine well built instruments, there's one at St Michaels Stourport.

Best wishes

Barrie

JontyTrain

Sad news about Bill Drake, I had the chance to met him three times last year when he came to look at our Georgian chamber organ, which the firm will still be restoring later in the year once Spitlafields is completed.
Jonathan