News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Gert van Hoef - up and coming organist

Started by Branchporter, July 18, 2012, 05:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branchporter

Young Gert van Hoef is quite a musician - he is totally involved in his playing!

When the van Hoef family got a home organ at Christmastime 2007, 13 year old Gert began picking out tunes by ear. Doing quite well, he decided to tackle something challenging - Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, which he learned by watching YouTube videos. In July 2008, he posted his own video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKmpm8S3lVg

While working on the Bach, Gert decided he should learn to read music, so he started taking lessons. Here's how he is dong four years and 122 videos later. In this video he had just turned 18: www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1iNqv7edW0

Gert is very much at home with improvision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VcruF4_pFQ&feature=relmfu

I have greatly enjoyed watching Gert's progress!

Branchporter

Further information:

I have communicated with Gert for more than three years. He seems to be a genuinely nice young man. Gert is now organist at his home church, and has a job demonstrating organs for a digital organ company. To my way of thinking, Gert deserves more attention and "hero worship" than Justin Beiber!  Yes, I'm a fan! ... of Gert, not of Justin ;D 

Some criticize Gert for his animation while playing - his arm movement and hand lift, etc, thinking it distracts from his playing. . Others see this as his natural style and his involvement in his playing which enhances his playing. One of Gert's "heroes" is the popular Dutch organist and composer Feike Asma (1912-1984),  who used a lot of "flair" while playing.

In the two newer videos I listed,  the organ is in the church Stephanuskerk in Hasselt, Netherlands. The church was built in 1446, with the tower being rebuilt in 1752 after lightning caused a fire which destroyed the tower, carillon and organ. The present organ was built in 1802. After having been modified through the years, it has been restored to it's original specification, but with the addition of an independent pedal division.

Some may be interested in my YouTube playlist, "Young Organists" which lists videos of over 80 organists, aged 7 to 20. There IS hope!
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E3FAEF5B472FACBA

Bobbell9

Gert has his own website now. Check out the videos (and DVD!) at http://www.gertvanhoef.nl

David Drinkell

Quote from: Branchporter on July 18, 2012, 02:21:51 PM
Some criticize Gert for his animation while playing - his arm movement and hand lift, etc, thinking it distracts from his playing. . Others see this as his natural style and his involvement in his playing which enhances his playing. One of Gert's "heroes" is the popular Dutch organist and composer Feike Asma (1912-1984),  who used a lot of "flair" while playing.

If he has to contend with old tracker jobs with the manuals coupled up, I'm not surprised his movements are a touch flamboyant.....

MusingMuso

It IS good to find young organists on Youtube, and they are not the only ones by any means. The instrument still stirs the heart of SOME children and young people.

I hope that EVERYONE will listen to the music and superb performing ability of young Thomas Mellan. If he isn't the next major composer for organ, I will eat my organ shoes. The boy displays real genius far in excess of his years.

Best,

MM

KB7DQH

QuoteI hope that EVERYONE will listen to the music and superb performing ability of young Thomas Mellan. If he isn't the next major composer for organ, I will eat my organ shoes. The boy displays real genius far in excess of his years.

Some may fairly compare his compositions to those of Olivier Messiaen ??? :o ;) ;D

His composition "Galaxies and Explosions" and Messiaen's "Eyes in the Wheels" for example ;)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

MusingMuso

To have assimilated the Messaien style and then created some very fine music is remarkable in itself at so young an age, but I suspect that this is only the start.

Whatever the X-factor is in composition and playing ability, Thomas Mellan has it in super abundance.

Best,

MM

Branchporter

Gert van Hoef recently posted a performance of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor which many have said is the best interpretation of this famous piece they have heard. Gert just turned 19 today - Happy Birthday, Gert!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEHGxpRoZQM

And - I agree, young Thomas Mellan has extreme talent!

Branchporter

Here's Gert van Hoef doing an improvisation on "Neumark", a hymn tune from the 1600's. The tune is used in the hymn "If Thou But Suffer God to Guide Thee".

Toward the end, his footwork - with hiking boots - is incredible!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N07M0Rne1xk

Gert recently began studies at the Royal Conservatory of Music at The Hague, Netherlands. With his skills and love of music, we may well be seeing a world renowned organist and composer in the making.