News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

AES meeting Imperial College, Loudspeaker measurements using Tetrahedral

Started by dragonser, March 08, 2014, 05:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonser

Hi, sorry for the short notice.
Just to let you know that there is a lecture entitled " Comparative results between loudspeaker measurements using a tetrahedral enclosure and other methods " by Geoff Hill
on Tuesday the 11th of March at Imperial College, Main meeting room ( room 130 ) Huxley building SW7 2RH.
6-30 pm start
Free entry.
more details at http://www.aes-uk.org/meetings/forthcoming-meetings/london/

regards Peter B

KB7DQH

I guess I am now going to search up what is specifically meant by a "tetrahedral" enclosure... I am assuming one which all four of the panels are equilateral triangles sized to produce the equivalent volume of a comparable rectangular enclosure, with the speaker under test mounted in the center of one of the triangles?

I have mucked about with enclosures which have the speaker (or speakers) are mounted in one face of a rectangular panel, then two more similar rectangles joined to the speaker panel on the shorter of the rectangular panel sides with the opposite end of the panels joined to form a point, and triangular panels cut to form the remaining two sides and have found this arrangement to be favorable to a conventional rectangular enclosure  ;)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Thanks so much for posting this news. I went last night and it was interesting - basically looking at the imperfections of speaker measurements in standard setups, none of which are standard, and finding a methodology and a means of producing consistent results. With factories making products for manufacturers all over the world, achieving uniform reliability is a problem and this is a solution.

More details are on www.hillacoustics.com

It was also interesting in demonstrating the problems that one has in positioning a microphone, with anything.

(Whilst the usual specification of speakers is at 1 metre, a mic placed at 316mm from the unit gives an output 10db higher and 10cm, 20dB higher.)

Best wishes

David P