News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Cinema Organ on Ebay (Daniel of Clevedon )

Started by dragonser, March 15, 2014, 05:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonser

Hi, just seen an advert for a
Daniel of Clevedon Cinema Organ ( disassembled )
eBay item number:

just in case anyone has the time, skill  and the money !

regards Peter B

diapason

Never knew that Daniels to built a cinema organ, but that console is definitely a Compton - possibly a miniatura.

dragonser

Hi,
well there is also a Compton Miniatura on ebay
eBay item number:

and a Bevington ? Pipe Organ

eBay item number:

regards Peter B

diapason

A good selection.  And my house organ is also for sale due to an impending move - on the forum.

David Wyld

Quote from: diapason on March 15, 2014, 06:38:39 PM
Never knew that Daniels to built a cinema organ, but that console is definitely a Compton - possibly a miniatura.

This isn't a "CinemaOrgan" - I'm pretty sure that it's from a military barracks chapel, now closed, that I saw last year.  The Army/Services were hoping to relocate it to another establishment but hadn't reckoned on the cost.  It was built up of secondhand stuff, not bad for what it was but not worth even the opening bid of £750 in my view.   The thought that he's hoping to get £5k.........   

DW
Henry Willis & Sons.

David Wyld

Further information -   I've just found the file and am pretty sure that this organ was removed from The Garrison Chapel at Venning Barracks, Donnington, Shropshire, within the past year.

uax13

Some further news on this may be of interest.

In October 2014 I went to view this organ and was a bit upset to see it was not quite as shown on Ebay, all nicely stacked on pallets in a clean warehouse. The then current owner bought it for the wooden paneling and was re-selling it, but it was now piled into the corner of a very dirty barn.

As he was threatening to break it up and sell the pipes for garden ornaments I took great pity on it and made what I thought was an offer unlikely to succeed but a bit more than he may have got for ornaments and firewood. It was accepted and we filled a 7.5 tonne lorry over the course of six hours. At my chapel in Wales we spent about 7 hours unloading. It took many weeks of sorting it out trying to work out how it was originally put together. As far as I can determine nothing was actually missing apart from the screws and the wiring! There is no case work as it was installed in an organ loft, built around a framework based on the Swell box. The Great is mounted in front and this is all fronted by a rank of golden pipes most of which are decorative, but some speak as part of the Great. The Pedal section is stand alone up against the right hand wall, and the wind reservoirs are fitted in what little space is left. The blower box stands on the left side with the electric relay action system. The whole thing occupies a width of about 20 feet.

There are 5 ranks in the Great and another 5 in the Swell, with 2 in the Pedal section. There are nearly 800 pipes. The stops on the main sections are on sliders operated by electromechanical solenoids. I dont know if this confirms it was made from older chests that have been adapted to electric working. But the pipes now have electric chest magnets. The Compton console is purely electric being connected by large multicore cables to the remote relays that operate the chest magnets. David of Willis reckons it was working ok before it was dismantled.

Some of the woodwork has "Catterick" marked on it so maybe it has moved around in the Army more than once? Daniel of Clevedon presumably put it together in its current form for Venning Barracks.

As I am doing the whole operation single handed it takes a lot of time, also I am not living near enough to where it is to put in anything other than the odd few days here and there. My intention is to add Midi playing so that I can play it from computer files. I also want to add some ranks from another organ which I have rescued, in particular a rank of trumpets. This is the Rushworth and Dreaper Ardeton organ from the Ffestiniog Parish church of St Michael. I intend to keep the electrically played Ardeton intact as it is but remotely play it from the Daniel as a third rank!  I also want to do some bizarre additions. I have already acquired a 16 foot 24 note Diaphone,  toy shop chest and a glockenspiel. Maybe its because my experience is with fairground organs, but I tend to talk of registers, and everything Midi comes down to melody accompaniment and bass!

Martin

David Pinnegar

Very many congratulations for taking on such an ambitious project!

Bearing in mind your MIDI ambitions, joining up with the Electronic Organ Constructors' Society might be both helpful, and, if you might write up your project (please don't forget to take photos!) interesting for the magazine. EOCS is far from just being about electronic sound production - many members are interested in electronic actions and pipes. Some multiplex actions have been designed by members, so it's a good resource for all things relating to electric actions.

Best wishes

David P