Link resources > YouTube and other MP3 recordings of organs and organ music or other music of relevance

Cameron Carpenter - Damaging the organ scene or Himself

(1/4) > >>

hjtib1:
Looking at the comments and the public reaction on Cameron Carpenter's VEVO account....the public have well and truly said how they feel, but do they feel this about just Cameron Carpenter, or do they have similar thoughts about the organ scene in general too?
Personally I'd agree with the latter, not totally, but a good chunk of me agrees that that is generally how the general public see the organ and organists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLzgFkouSmc - the video itself for those who wish to read the comments.

KB7DQH:
Have you had the opportunity to see the review I wrote here on this forum of a concert he gave (on a real tracker organ no less :o here locally, (a month ago to this day) which I attended? I (hope) I make the case he may be damaging far more than "the organ scene" or "himself" but the whole of civilized society :o :o :o ;)

http://www.organmatters.com/index.php/topic,1791.msg8395.html#msg8395

If nothing else, the few most recent comments I read at the Youtube link above mean my assessment based on his live performance isn't too far off the mark ??? :o ;)

Eric
KB7DQH

pcnd5584:

--- Quote from: KB7DQH on May 25, 2014, 10:05:59 PM ---Have you had the opportunity to see the review I wrote here on this forum of a concert he gave (on a real tracker organ no less :o here locally, (a month ago to this day) which I attended? I (hope) I make the case he may be damaging far more than "the organ scene" or "himself" but the whole of civilized society :o :o :o ;)

http://www.organmatters.com/index.php/topic,1791.msg8395.html#msg8395

If nothing else, the few most recent comments I read at the Youtube link above mean my assessment based on his live performance isn't too far off the mark ??? :o ;)

Eric
KB7DQH

--- End quote ---

It is interesting to read these reviews.

On the basis of the video link alone, I can tell you this: he is unlikely to attract younger people to play in this country - I cannot think of any parent whose child I teach, who would willingly let their offspring near him.  Please note that this is not to cast any slur on his moral character - simply that the persona which he chooses to portray appears (to a reasonable person) to be somewhat odd.

hjtib1:
What annoys me most about him is that he DOES have the ability to be extremely good, without constantly showing off -look at me, I can play 4 manuals at once and play the melody line with both feet on the pedals- that's fine back n forth now and again, but it is almost all the time with him. The result is that it sounds dreadful. He would be much better appreciated by controlling his talent a good deal more, rather than just running wild with it.

David Pinnegar:
Hi!

Thanks for these very interesting thoughts and opinions.

One problem is that the big names of the music industry don't know where to go. They might have seen success with Lady Gaga but the organ world is not that world. Sony is just as much at a loose end as the artist they're aiming to promote . . . and I say this in particular relevance to my final comment below.

From the video comments

--- Quote ---The organ was made for the glorification of God, not the narcissistic display of personal eccentricity. Carpenter needs to become less in his own eyes, so that God may become greater.
--- End quote ---
and certainly in ignoring God, Carpenter does not understand the process of creation by which matter is created by lesser particles working together to create.

Coming to the end demonstration of this monster creation - which in having a Bomb button clearly takes after that labelled "Self Destruct" (although isn't it interesting the contrast of the effect of bomb to destroy others and self destruct with which to disappear within) - is that we have a giant synthesiser of immense resources able to create an effect that really we really have come across before with pipe organs of the highest stature and significantly less "resources" still able to send a chill down the spine.

Best wishes

David P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version