News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Pipe Organ for DT Project

Started by Bombarde, June 11, 2014, 12:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombarde

Hi,

I am looking for a reasonably sized pipe organ for a DT project as I am trying to initiate an "Organ Enthusiasts Club" and we would like to get an pipe organ (does not have to be working) to experiment on and examine the inner workings within this club. Something that is being removed or scrapped would be ideal.

please do let us know if you know of anyone

Thanks

KB7DQH

I am making the assumption this organization would be located somewhere within the UK?  As real pipe organs take up a fair bit of space I am assuming that you already have secured an adequate "premises" for which the instrument (and any tooling required for "experimentation") would be housed?

A "club" of this type could certainly "morph" into something like the EOCS (Electronic Organ Constructors Society) but be oriented towards "non-electronic" organs ;) (PIPE organ Constructor's Society 8) 8) 8)

A similar operation exists not too far away from here in my corner of the CONUS, the "Pipe Organ Foundation" which is a gathering of volunteers who make it their "business" to restore and install "homeless" pipe organs...

I imagine students looking for a project for GCSE requirements would be welcomed???

Do let us all know of your progress in this worthy endeavor :D

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

I know this member as a very worthy young man to whom I have given the EOCS member's Ralph Jones Mini Metro Movable organ.

He has two years left to run with studies at a school of significant renown and some resources with excellent workshop, science and music facilities.

If any organ builder might possibly make contact with any resources of spare small organs there is a momentum of enthusiasm here which could result in significant benefits to the organ and organ building in the future.

Do I really need to get out the secret weapon again to make people sit up and take notice of the opportunity that awaits herein?

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

Such a project could lead to answering questions raised elsewherehttp://www.organmatters.com/index.php/topic,1675.msg8502/topicseen.html#msg8502 among other things.  Given the nature of the project under discussion the specification, appearance, voicing, condition, etc. which become problematic with selecting an appropriate instrument for a new home in this case suddenly become far less of an issue. What remains are the usual "logistics" involved.  (Driving the countryside looking for skips placed adjacent to houses of worship can be expensive and time-consuming, for example ;) Canvassing organ builders, organ consultants, and related may yield critical information on an instrument otherwise facing a similar fate to which one may lay hands upon it prior to its reduction to raw material status :o

If David's "secret weapon" can be brought to bear and expedite this process so much the better ;) 8)
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Quote from: KB7DQH on June 17, 2014, 03:12:14 PM

If David's "secret weapon" can be brought to bear and expedite this process so much the better ;) 8)

She's thinking about it . . .

What does she need to do to get members and visitors to pull out all the stops in support of this project?

Best wishes

David P

dragonser

Hi,
I wonder if it would be possible to obtain a Harmonium / Reed Organ and then renovate this instrument. I would think that some of the techniques such as woodwork, felt, releathering would be in common with a Pipe Organ ?
there is also the tuning and regulation of the Reeds which might actually be more complex than Tuning a Pipe Organ.
the Logistics of moving a Harmonium / Reed Organ is probably easier than moving a Pipe Organ ?
But I stand to be corrected !

regards Peter B

JBR

Quote from: dragonser on June 19, 2014, 01:19:37 PM
Hi,
I wonder if it would be possible to obtain a Harmonium / Reed Organ and then renovate this instrument. I would think that some of the techniques such as woodwork, felt, releathering would be in common with a Pipe Organ ?
there is also the tuning and regulation of the Reeds which might actually be more complex than Tuning a Pipe Organ.
the Logistics of moving a Harmonium / Reed Organ is probably easier than moving a Pipe Organ ?
But I stand to be corrected !

regards Peter B

I'm sure that some such skills can be applied to both instruments.  I was told that harmonium reeds don't go out of tune, though.

As for moving them, that put me in mind of when I was a child and the local church decided to dispose of its harmonium.  I remember it being in the choir's robing room, but I never remember it being used.  (The church has a pipe organ as well, although I understand it is no longer working properly.  Probably not many in the congregation these days - it's in a 'white flight' area of Bradford.)

Anyway, despite it weighing a ton (not literally), my dad and his mate managed to move it along two streets to our house, and then up two narrow flights of stairs to my bedroom in the attic.  I can't imagine how they managed it, but they did!  I remember learning quite a lot about the internal workings, through 'experimentation'.

Edit:  Btw, very nice to see a young child taking an interest in the organ (picture above), especially a girl.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

revtonynewnham

Hi

Although there are some similarities, there are also significant differences between Harmoniums and pipe organs - although, as a reed organ enthusiast, I would applaud the restoration of an example of the breed!  There's information on the Reed Organ Society web site - and membership of the society is recommended for anyone who has any interest in these fascinating instruments.

In general, reed organ reeds hold tune for many decades, and often simply cleaning will resolve tuning issues, but there comes a point where ageing, etc mean that retuning is needed - not a task to take on lightly (I know the theory, but have not (yet) tried it on an instrument).  The treble reeds are very fragile - and the shape of the tongues is critical to the sound.

Whatever, work on any sort of organ is well worth while.

Every Blessing

Tony
(Reed Organ Society Council Member for UK, Ireland & Canada)

David Pinnegar

I think the harmonium idea is great . . . but the excitement is in real pipes, as is the physics. The young lad proposing this is a mover and shaker with the greatest of enthusiasm and is contemplating collaboration between workshop, physics/electronics and the music department. His dad is a lecturer in electronics at Surrey University and so has extra expertise in the family. It's for this reason that I gave to him the EOCS Ralph Jones Mini Metro Movable organ, which he has up and running at his home. He takes an active interest in the Carillon at the school, and has sampled an important 1920s three manual organ for a JOrgan based system.

Apologies to those upon whom the practical joke of my secret weapon has made an impact . . . but someone needs to pull out the Tuba

to fanfare this worthwhile project . . .

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

I do hope that it won't be up to my secret weapon to be caused to pull out the stops for this worthy project

Best wishes

David P

Bombarde

Hi David,

Thank You for your support and thanks to everyone for their replies. I am still on the look out for the right organ. I am hoping to do some work experience with an organ firm in the summer hols to find out more about the internal workings of a pipe organ.

Thanks

Arun

David Pinnegar

Perhaps http://www.organdesign.co.uk/ might be helpful for experience . . . . ?

And please anyone finding an organ available that otherwise will be scrapped can you post news here?

This is an excellent opportunity to ensure that the organ is of interest to a young and enthusiastic generation.

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/salvage-complete-church-organ-with-pipes-and-panels-doors-and-frame-/251574801523

An organ slightly smaller than this was how I started. This instrument, however, with the Gt 4ft Flute taken up to 2ft is an excellent specification . . .

Best wishes

David P

Bombarde

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all your help. We managed to find a small instrument now thanks to Organ Designs :),

We look forward to getting this started as soon as possible, once we find some space to store it, as we have found a place but we need to clear it out first

Thanks

Arun