News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Taboo

Started by David Pinnegar, September 13, 2010, 09:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

It seems really absurd, and very unfair, that Peter Collins was so severely censured in the UK for having experimented with an electronic extension when churches in USA are taking advantage of services such as
http://www.ahlborn-galanti.com/Pipes.html

The pipe organ industry is shooting itself in the foot by allowing electronics manufacturers to take the lead, and thus control, whereas if pipe organ builders took the lead, the boot would be on the other foot.

I have the direct experience of managing an analogue of an unfashionable English cathedral style instrument of the sort that have been meddled with and are now endangered and rare in original condition, as they don't provide great and obvious "classical" facilities, which has been extended overtly and electronicly very successfully in a way that overcomes all the shortcomings of the original instrument without affecting its integrity. In this way, electronic tools can serve well the cause of conservation.

One of the reasons why I did what I did is because I am aware of a 1920s vintage Harrison and Harrison, which I regard to be more pleasurable and special, in a much better acoustic, than St Marys Bristol. Because its current curators despise it with a passion, it's endangered. But by adding a fourth manual, possibly with floating stops and couplerable to the existing three manuals, the original instrument could be preserved in tact and cherished.

In historic building conservation, certain principles apply which have not been applied in organ building. These include the concept that any alteration or addition should be identifiable as such and incapable of confusion with the original, and that the integrity of the original should be preserved. Certainly, removable electronics can do just that, but at the same time add greatly to the tonal resources required for artistic purposes in styles otherwise not permitted. Furthermore, a midi output on the console, without being difficult to add, would enable some sort of musical provision to be maintained when the pipe instrument springs a leak or a cipher.

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Organ builders who are serious about historic restoration/conservation do follow similar principles - one example that I know well is the chamber organ in my church, where Willis went to the extent of using a different type of wood where the case needed strengthening (internally).  Goetze & Gwynn in particular are propents of this sort of conservation.  There's a book on the subject which is well worth reading.  I'll try and remember to post the title when I can access my books later in the week.

Every Blessing

Tony