News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Harris Organs of Birmingham

Started by Barrie Davis, October 29, 2014, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

Hi,

Can anyone help me please? I am trying to locate the order books of this firm in an attempt to find the specification of the extension organ they built for Bushbury Crematorium in Wolverhampton during the 1960's, from memory it was based on 3 ranks, the organ has long gone being replaced by a "toaster" which in turn has given way to the computerised music system widely used these days.

Harris Organs were not the best, but I would like to add this instrument to the NPOR.

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi Barrie

Interesting  -there's no DBOB record for this firm - I assume it's relatively recent (post-1950 - the current cut-off for DBOB).  You could try asking local organ builders - or maybe the frim that took them over/took over the tuning migt have them - if you can find out who that is!

Good luck

Every Blessing

Tony

Terz

It is a lways worth asking the BOA in Birmingham, as although they might not have the records, when Chris Kearl was Archivist there I think he had a record of other places that had organ builder's records.  Roy Williamson may know more as his book on The Organs of Gloucestershire records two instances of their work in that County.   

Barrie Davis

Hi Tony,

They were still going in the early 70's, I have emailed Andrew Moyes to see if he can help.

Thank you for your suggestions as well Terz.

Best wishes
Barrie

CJool

I am the grandson of Wilfred Harris of Harris organs. After my grandfather passed away in 1984 my uncle maintained the business briefly providing tunings but he closed the business a few years later.

Barrie Davis

Have you any idea what happened to the order books and records when you Uncle closed the business?

CJool

Sorry, I don't know. What I will do is inform my uncle of this forum. I'm sure he would be interested in trying to answer any questions you may have.