News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Radio 3 Late Junction Podcast

Started by revtonynewnham, December 26, 2014, 10:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Last night's "Late Junction" on BBC Radio 3 included a collaboration session including pipe organ (Westminster Cathedral (Roman Catholic) and "found sounds" - I guess some of it like musique concrete.  Interesting in its way.  (But not for traditionalists!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ljs is the link to the podcast.  The show itself is available via http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp52 and included some solo tracks by Martin Baker from the Cathedral (recorded for the show) and other Christmas music of several varieites, including some jazz organ.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

I heard a repeat of this. It was captivating and well worth the listen

Best wishes and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

David P

revtonynewnham

David Pinnegar

Thanks

I'm wondering if
(a) facebook groupings have killed off forums
(b) it's just this forum which appears to be close to rigor mortis
(c) interest in organs is passing away as the church ceases to be relevant to the mainstream . . .

:-(

Best wishes

David P

David Drinkell

You could be right about Facebook. I'm not on it, but my wife keeps coming up with various bits of information.

Barrie Davis

I don't think it's just this forum, but I do wonder what has happened to several members who seem to have drifted away, I will email you David.

Best wishes
Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

Facebook does seem to have more traffic than the forums.  It's not so easy to track  conversations there - nor to be sure of seeing everything without spending lots of time.  To my mind, it's a different beast.

Every Blessing

Tony

JBR

I agree.  Fora are much preferable if you want to follow individual threads.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

David Pinnegar

The reality is that a forum is capable of becoming a repository of knowledge. Much knowledge disappears with a grey and white haired generation and a forum with support is capable of maintaining it for the younger generation. But Facebook is merely a froth on the sea soon to be subsumed and all knowledge and wisdom is wasted there.

I fear that many people relate to organs for their wonder sometimes in preference to relating to people. Such people often don't see the need to communicate with other people, communicating through their wonder of sound, but which is reaching a diminishing audience. And as a result of not communicating more as extroverts we cannot have a hope in hell of grabbing the attentions of street gangs in a noisy world who would so much benefit from the powers of the organ and everything that comes with it. I see a spiral of depression in which people are no longer trying to make a difference in the world anymore because they think that the disorder of the old world as the new is too overwhelming and that they haven't a hope of making things better. Instead I fear that those to whom knowledge and the vestiges of civilisation are dear are contented for all merely to moulder into obscurity for total occlusion before long.

As Churches close unnecessarily on account of finances disappearing with white haired old ladies over the age of 50 and unnecessarily so as the burdens of paying insurance for risks in the future bring guaranteed disaster in the present, the outlook is one that is grim unless those with the knowledge and mind to do it start making the difference where it counts.

Perhaps forum admins might formulate an email for forumadmin to send out to members . . .

Best wishes

David P