News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Healthy interest?

Started by David Pinnegar, December 18, 2014, 09:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

When dropping in on the forum I normally see possibly a count of around 25 guests recorded as looking at the forum but this evening over 50. Might this be an indicator of a better interest in the instrument?

Best wishes

David P

JBR

Sadly, fifty would be a typical attendance for many organ recitals in this country.  I may have mentioned before (poor memory, I'm afraid), but when I attended a recital in Cologne Cathedral a few years ago, the place was full - that's in excess of a couple of thousand - with many bringing camping chairs and sitting in the aisles because all the pews had been filled.  And that was for Messiaen!

Why not here?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Barrie Davis

There are 56 Guests on line now!!!!

David Pinnegar

I think a major problem is an association with the church and the church really not doing its best to make itself relevant to people today.

Whilst being controversial I really do think that all faiths need to focus not on the word "God" but upon the Creator and how the Creator creates by creating. In this way, in common with other religions who worship the creator, the god of life, we can live and create and create together all the better.

When we learn how to create, and we create made in the image of the creator, we learn how to do it ourselves rather than wait and rely on the magicman to do it for us. In learning how to do it ourselves is the magic.

As we approach the magic day when we celebrate the birth of our saviour, perhaps we might contemplate how he saves not by doing it for us but by teaching us how we can do it even when He's not around.

Born of a virgin the idea of the creator came not to a ruler's daughter in a palace but to an ordinary girl in a stable. It's the idea to which she was virgin and the idea of the creator that creates and gives understanding and which never dies. This idea can be nailed on a cross but will not die and will always be resurrected. The Christ is in an idearealm and as we read the Christmas readings again this year perhaps I might ask us all to listen very carefully to the possibility of that idea . . . rather than to focus on the physicality of the material realm. The texts as we go through the year of readings make specific and plain distinction between Jesus, Son of Man, the rabbi, the teacher, the man, and the Christ which is the idea of the Messianic cult which carries a superstorey in a higher dimension.

The muddling of the dimensions takes away from what can be seen as metaphor by those who want to see and common sense upon their seeing.

The spirit in which something is done is a continuum of an idearealm and in that is the Holy Spirit, the idea of the son which does the work of the father which is the understanding from which the creator flows.

Taking an approach of straightforward commonsense by the church could then most interestingly work in the direction of a magic appreciation that all could have were understanding to be given to the very definition of our God as the Creator the giver of life - and that not only in the physical realm of life that we breathe but that life that is given to the release of our minds into the understanding of the idea.

Were such to be the understanding of the work of the church then many more might enjoy the wonder of organs.

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

Oddly enough discovered in some intriguing places... To wit:

http://www.reactorbreach.com/showthread.php?tid=1579&page=2

QuoteI have always been intrigued by Historically Informed Performance Practise, obviously with reference to music of the Baroque period. The dissonance created by following the original tuning has always struck me as far more organic, more vital, than the well tempered sounds of later tunings.

There is always the argument tht IF early composers had had access to modern instruments, they would PERHAPS have changed their approach quite radically.

There is surely place for both historically informed and modern tuning. Modern music performed in the previous tuning becomes simply a curiosity, surely. And there is always the unwritten stylistic expectation that varies according to the fashion of each era, and the so called normal sound for an instrument two hundred years ago is certailny not the sound by today´s audience.

and from another on that same thread:
QuoteRE: The Musicians' Thread

Unfortunately I am not sure if in my archived radio broadcasts of choir and organ music I have the entirety of Widor's 5th symphony but I definitely know I have the 6th in its entirety Heart"

In my post I was referring to Naxos CD with Robert Delcamp playing exclusively Widor, and among the pieces featured are the 5-th Allegro Vivace, Adagio and Toccata, Allegro
and you are so right, it is near impossible to find the fifth anywhere, while toccata is on more that one hundredth different CD's.; I do believe there is a Phillips double LP with Widor complete fifth, but so far the fact that I don't have a turntable anymore . . . Confused

I agree with you, indeed tapes (analog) are sounding better, I still have a Fostex E2 myself, but used to house the Studer A 810 together with 3 other machines for awhile. Smile

I listen on Orion actives and right now I have next to me Pomp&Pipes with Paul Riedo in Dallas, on Reference Recordings.

Widor is there with "Lord, save thy people" and Marcel Dupre with "Heroic Poem".

In time I'll transfer all my CD's on the Memory Player (the only digital machine that I can truly enjoy - very interesting concept and design here.

Thank you for the occasion to delve a little in something that gives both hope and peace.

Alonso

and now for the "zingers"...

If one tries hard enough, one can fill much of a forumBig Grin

Earlier in this thread I mentioned http://www.organmatters.com

Have a look at my attempt at doing just that...

Still, after reading your last post you could have knocked me over with a featherBig Grin

And the founder and administrator of this forum on his photography page has a most beautiful photograph of a windchest loaded with several ranks of pipework... Angel

That "Pomp and Pipes" CD has become almost a "gold standard" for Audiophiles wishing to evaluate the effectiveness of their high-fidelity music reproduction apparatus... That organ was the first such instrument (ie, tracker-action, installed in a concert hall) designed and built by Charles Fisk, a physicist who prior to building organs was a member of the Manhattan Project team and was told by Dirk Flentrop "You don't want to build a concert hall organ, nobody will ever play it"...

Oddly enough, sitting in the organ shop of John Bishop, founder of Organ Clearinghouse... may be some lasting evidence of the crime that is "9/11" in the form of dust ejected from WTC during its collapse... lodged in the wind system of the pipe instrument once installed in Trinity Lutheran Church, Wall Street... (Wrap your head around THAT for a second or twoIdea )

My signature line from Organmatters:

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

QuoteI have been on Organ matters soonest you put the link up last year.
It is hard to believe how frustrated I felt with some of the guys there keeping on the safe (boring) side of the debate Confused but, then again I was a fringe kind of a guy, unable to see music in and on itself on one hand and the man as an evolved animal only, locked in a specie isolated and shackled outside of the Universe and consciousness; Emoto proves there is more outside of us, and we in-habit that space too . . .

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."