News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

My List

Started by barniclecompton, September 15, 2010, 08:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barniclecompton

Well, if anyone goes on a trip to blackpool, id suggest going into the tower ballroom to listen to the 3/14 wurlitzer, probably the most famous in the world thanks to Reginald Dixon!
If anyhere, on the top balcony near the front or at the back of the room, again on the top balcony, at least that way, you avoid quite abit of the amplification (which is cranked up too much!) that they use on the organ.
Actually, even just to see the ballroom, its worth going in.
If your lucky enough to be there when there is a concert on at the opera house, do come in, it is the best remaining theatre organ in its original home, and its unique. The Wintergardens are also well worth looking at, it is a MAGNIFICENT complex.
If your in London, pop along to Brentford Music Museum, where a whole host of instruments are kept and played every day, including the stunning and unique Ex Regal Kingston Wurlitzer, residence organs, orchestrions, player pianos, pianolas....the list goes on.
If your in the Midlands, contact me, as there is a whole host of instruments you could visit and play.
If your in Central Scotland, try getting to play Ayr Town Hall, which is an untouched Lewis Organ.
And if you have the oppurtunity, make sure you make a visit to Kelvingrove art gallery, where they hold lunchtime concerts every week day on the Lewis organ there.

revtonynewnham

Hi

North Wales:-

St Asaph Cathedral (4m Hill recently restored by David Wood) (I played this whilst on holiday last week)
Bangor Cathedral (4m Hill/Compton/Wells)
Ruthin Collegiate Church (Wadsworth rest. Willis - a fascinating English Victorian concert organ based on French ideas - a totally unique instrument - not typically English, and certainly not French, but well worth a visit)

Lancashire:
Lancaster Cathedral (Ainsclough reb. Willis)

maybe more later!

Every Blessing

Tony

dragonser

Hi,
I have been to the Musical Museum before they has the Wurlitzer fully installed and it is worth a visit....
they also have one of the few roll player Hammond Organs in the uk, but this wasn't working when I went there.
regards Peter B

p.s their web site is http://musicalmuseum.co.uk/

Quote from: barniclecompton on September 15, 2010, 08:30:45 PM
If your in London, pop along to Brentford Music Museum, where a whole host of instruments are kept and played every day, including the stunning and unique Ex Regal Kingston Wurlitzer, residence organs, orchestrions, player pianos, pianolas....the list goes on.

revtonynewnham

Hi

I hear that it's very good in its new home.  I last visited about 30 years ago - long before any thoughts of a move - and it was well worthwhile then.

Every Blessing

Tony

barniclecompton

The Wurlitzer at Brentford is certainly up the top of the list as being one of the best theatre organ installations in the UK, as is the Blackpool opera house (which wurlitzer said themselfs to be there best installation in the uk). Both organs are UNIQUE, and very fexible.

revtonynewnham

Hi

A couple more organs worth visiting - both in Sussex this time:-

Arundel Roman Catholic Cathedral.  3m Hill in the proper place (West Gallery) of a very reverberant acoustic.  Recently restored, and a fabulous instrument
Chichester Cathedral  Another Hill, saved from "fashion chasing" by poverty (not helped by the tower collapsing around a century ago!)  Out of use until a few years ago when it was rebuilt by Mander.  A fascinating vintage English Cathedral organ of the pre Willis/Harrison era.

Both are well worth a visit.  Also in sussex, Hammerwood Park - the home of the moderator of this list - with a couple of pipe organs and a 5m electronic concert organ - very nice.  There are some pictures on his web site, and on my Facebook page.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi

St Michaels Tenbury (4man Willis)
Worcester Cathedral (4man Tickell)
Ludlow Parish Church (4man Walker/Nicholson)
The Abbey Shrewsbury (3man Hill)
St Marys Shrewsbury (4 man Binns)
St Michaels Handsworth (3 man Norman and Beard untouched)
St John Wolverhampton (Varying History last rebuilt Tipple)
Holy Trinity Wordsley (3 man Bevington rebuilt Sheffield improved by Tipple)

I will add more later

Best wishes

Barrie

David Pinnegar

Quote from: revtonynewnham on September 17, 2010, 02:46:29 PMhome of the moderator of this list

Moderator? I don't think he's meddled more than once taking out just one word . . . moderation is certainly not allowed here . . .  only ENTHUSIASM!

Thanks to all who contribute such enthusiasm!

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi David

Just being polite!

Every Blessing

Tony

barniclecompton

If you are in Norfolk and are a fan of steam traction engines, fair organs, Dance organs, and theatre organs, get yourself to the Thursford Collection!
http://www.thursford.com/thursford-collection-main.aspx