News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

John Compton Organ Co LTD Your Thoughts Please

Started by magiczig11, January 27, 2015, 10:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magiczig11

Hi all I have a wonderful organ made by the John Compton organ co LTD and while I decide  what to do with the old boy I thought I would share some pictures with you.

I am unsure of the exact model and year of make but Its very old perhaps someone will be able to tell me , To be fair It looks in very good condition for Its age and although not been played for many years , Turns on and everything works sounds Fantastic It looks like It was sold by C. Taphouse and son's Oxford at some stage in Its life they were a company steep in history as well.

I will be selling the old boy at some stage but the problem I am going to have I think Is I have been offered good money for the Speaker and the Amplifier but I would much prefer the old boy to stay as an organ if possible ,

I am no expert at all and know very little about organs but the workmanship on this looks fantastic It currently lives in sunny Devon in the U.K

I know this is not one of Compton grandest models but wonderful all the same please let me know your thoughts Thanks

magiczig11

Sorry all I am having problems getting pictures on I have 19 Pictures perhaps if you pm me I can send them to you
thanks

David Drinkell

IMHO, the old Compton Electrones were by far the finest electronic imitations of their period, and in some ways I would sooner play one today than some of the more advanced models.  They didn't sound tremendously like a real organ, although they were a good attempt for the time, but they had a certain class all of their own and you could register them like a pipe organ.  The consoles were the same as those made for Compton pipe organs - the small Electrone had the same console and specification as the Miniatura II.

I once played the ex-Free Trade Hall Compton, when it was privately owned and living in St. John's Wood.  It was quite a remarkable beast and showed great commitment and belief in the product.

If you can keep yours together, it would be vastly preferable to selling off the bits.

magiczig11

Hi David
Thanks for the kind words it is lovely engineering for Its day

revtonynewnham

Hi

If you're on Facebook, there are a\ couple of pages devoted to  Compton organs, and they are still sought after by collectors.  As David saidabove, they were far & away the best electron ic organs of their day - and the electro-mechanical tone generators mean that, like Hammonds, they go on for ages with just a little maintenance.

Every Blessing

Tony

magiczig11

Hi All It looks like the old girl is going to have to be broken up for parts
If anyone is looking for specific parts for this model please pm me Thanks

revtonynewnham

Hi

Where is the organ and how much do you want for it?  (PM me if you prefer)

Every Blessing

Tony