News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Very interesting article which raises deep issues

Started by David Pinnegar, November 17, 2010, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Whilst looking up the details earlier for Peter Collins at Trono, I came accross
http://www.nottsorganists.co.uk/Articles/artelectorgans.htm

It is very comprehensive and of great interest thereby . . .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Yes - interesting indeed - although nothing really new - and a little simplified in some areas (no doubt because of time constraints in a talk/lecture situation).

The current vice president of the Bradford Organists Association is Dr Lucy Comerford, who with her husband Peter, developed (and continue to refine) the Bradford system.  I should point out that although companies such as Copeman-Hart use the same computer synthesis technology, their voicing software is not the same as the current Bradford system - and of course, any such organ stands or falls on the quality of the voicing, just like the real thing!  To do it well is a very time-consuming process.

The latest iteration of the Bradford technology is very impressive (I've not heard a very recent example of a Copeman-Hart, and the last Norwich I came across was around 20+ years ago, so I make no comment except to say that I've been impressed by the quality of the Copeman'Hart jobs that I've seen and played over the years).

Electronic organs have come a long way since Thomas Cahill's Teleharmonium, and the electro-mechanical systems of Hammond, and, slightly earlier, Compton (I read recently that Leslie Bourne of Comptons actually developed an electro-magnetic system a year or two earlier than Hammond, but they didn't bother to patent it because it was thought it would have cost too much to build economically in the Compton factory).  I suspect that much of the longevity of these instruments is due to the mechanical generators - there's far less to go wrong with them than with early electronics.

Every Blessing

Tony