News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Is the age of the internet forum dead? Facebook RULEZ OK . . .

Started by David Pinnegar, April 18, 2015, 06:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi David

Web fora do seem to have declined in popularity, whilst FB and the like is still pretty busy - but the two tings are different.  There's a new web fora launching shortly covering vintage electronic organs - I've already contributed a few comments - I donpt know if there's public access yet, but there should be soon.  (http://www.mikebracchi.co.uk/)  It does show the sstrengths of the web forum in that a wealth of reference material, comments etc. is ther - allin one place.  Maybe when FB users realise how difficult it can be to find older material (or even something posted a few hours ago on busy pages) the traditional forum will make a comeback.

There's certainly a continuing - and maybe slowly growing - interest in organs - but also we are still seeing the attitude in too many churches that the instrument is old fashioned and should be got rid of.

We live in interesting times!

Every Blessing

Tony

Paul Duffy

Tony, you signed off your post with an ancient Chinese curse.

On the subject of organs, I believe that the church organ is all but dead. The instrument's sheer difficulty to master, coupled with the extremely low return on one's investment of time and money learning it (I had to fund all my lessons, music, organ shoes, and examinations with NO help from the church) and poor/zero pay as an organist is hardly an attractive prospect to a young musician. Pipe organs will gradually migrate from churches into private ownership or into skips because A) there will be no-one to play them, and B) because the culture has changed.

On the subject of internet fora, I believe that people have a much shorter attention span these days, and, dare I say it, the average person's intelligence is quite poor and getting worse. People prefer posting short messages on Twitter and Facebook rather than the more thought-out letter style response of a forum post. Though occasionally, you do find some intelligence out there:

"It is currently 10:29PM and I am watching the decline of Western civilisation on television" (Twitter poster's response to Channel Four's odious Sex Box programme)

Best wishes,
Paul

JBR

Quote from: Paul Duffy on April 20, 2016, 09:59:56 PM
Pipe organs will gradually migrate from churches into private ownership or into skips because A) there will be no-one to play them, and B) because the culture has changed.
Or (C) because foreign churches have bought them!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Nicolette

Do remember that the RCO's outreach and education programmes introduce plenty of young Brits to the organ.  That has to help the future of organ-playing in this country.  And I think it is a bit of a national problem - in Lyon last October, we attended two organ recitals that both drew huge audiences.  I believe all is not lost, and we've got to believe all is not lost.  I certainly didn't convert from piano to organ ten years ago, to hang my head dolefully about it.   We can do much, as players, to bring great music (because this will highlight the instruments) to congregations, audiences, pupils (current and potential).   We owe it to the king of instruments.
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO

Paul Duffy

I admire your refreshing optimism and enthusiasm Nicolette. I am also impressed that you managed to reach ARCO level in ten years. Though I gained the ALCM in piano, I only managed Grade 5 ABRSM in organ, so well done!

What pieces are you playing this weekend? It's Saturday afternoon and I still haven't decided what I am doing!

Best wishes,
Paul

Nicolette

Thanks very much, Paul.  This weekend, I'm delving into Guilmant's Short Pieces for Church Services and doing his Andante in F (sort-of a "quiet season" piece).   I wouldn't say "only" Grade 5 organ - there's some lovely repertoire at that level.   Are you going beyond that? 

Good luck with choosing something to play for tomorrow!

Nicolette
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO

Paul Duffy

Thanks Nicolette.

I don't have plans to take any more organ exams.

Have decided on the following pieces for tomorrow:

Evensong (Martin) and Minuet in Classical Style (Armstrong Gibbs) as preludes

Choral Song (S.S. Wesley) as a postlude.

Best wishes,
Paul

organforumadmin

Is it enthusiasm for the organ or merely this forum in death throws?

Barrie Davis

I don't think it is this forum in death throws, I think it is a general thing, people will soon get tired of facebook etc.

JBR

I doubt it will be of any encouragement but, despite the fact that I haven't anything constructive to say at the moment (not being an organist) I nevertheless visit this site (and another 'competitor') every day!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire