News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

A pain in the............foot!

Started by Nicolette, May 13, 2015, 11:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicolette

I thought I'd post this here, as only other organists would really understand my plight!  I've broken a bone in my right foot (the 5th metatarsal, to be exact) and the frustration it's causing me is BIG.   It happened just before Easter (loose-fitting, slightly heeled shoe meets wonky bit of pavement).  However, at the time, the opinion was that it wasn't broken, so I went ahead and - through the pain - played Vierne 1 (Final) on Easter Sunday.  Fast-forward and to cut a long story short, it turns out that it is broken.  So I'm now a one-foot-wonder and although I had the last 2 Sundays off, I'm back into action this week.  It's not as mad as it seems, though, because I'm going to compromise.   I'm hunting madly for voluntaries I could play with one foot, or at least adapt for the purpose.  Hymns are okay - if I make sure I play the main harmony notes with my left foot and do some left-hand doubling-up, all will not be lost.  The swell pedal is manageable, too - I just rest my right foot on it and flex it my ankle (not affected, thank goodness!) as and when required!    As for my own practising, well, it's a great opportunity to really hone my left-foot technique!   I wondered if anyone else had been through this sort of thing, and how they overcame it......exercises, repertoire, etc........thanks!  :)
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO

revtonynewnham

Hi

Having had problems with arthritis for a number of years, and both hips replaced, you just need to adjust playing (and maybe avoid more challenging pedal-dependent repertoire) for a while.  I was back playing less than a fortnight after each hip replacement - just had to remember not to let legs cross (which carries a risk of the replaced joint dislocating) for the first couple of months - so basically it was left foot for the bottom half of the pedalboard & right foot for the top half.  Much the same when arthritic pain is bad - you work round it & keep going.  There's plenty  of manuals only repertoire out there if things get reaally bad.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Wyld

Just switch to playing the Cinema/Theatre organ - they only ever used the left foot!
:o

Nicolette

Quote from: revtonynewnham on May 13, 2015, 12:30:33 PM
You work round it & keep going.  There's plenty  of manuals only repertoire out there if things get really bad.
Every BlessingTony
Yes, that's certainly true.  A volume I came across recently is "Bach - Easy Piano Pieces", which is actually a compilation of music by four of his sons - WF, CPE, JCF and JC Bach.  ("Easy" is sometimes a little short of the mark!)  It's produced by Editio Musica Budapest.  There are some absolute little gems in this collection and I'm certainly giving them a run for their money at the moment.  Several of the pieces beg some interesting manual changes and I'm having fun with them!   Would recommend.

Nicolette

Quote from: David Wyld on May 13, 2015, 12:32:11 PM
Just switch to playing the Cinema/Theatre organ - they only ever used the left foot!
:o

:D

Ian van Deurne

A few years ago when I broke my left ankle while falling out of a train, I took the opportunity to learn and revise much music for organ that doesn't require the use of the pedal at all.
There is much, including all English, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian organ music from the 17th-18th centuries and much after.
Apart from that, you might like to play the organ or clavier works from the now universally acknowledged "Father of Keyboard Music" - Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck (1562-1621)
from my home country.

I wish you well during your convalescence!

Ian

Nicolette

This is really helpful, Ian - thank you very much indeed.  My injury is healing  -  clinic appointment this week, so I'll find out what the progress is.   I've booked on to an intensive organ course in early July, so I'm hoping that I will be two-footed again by then.   Yesterday, I played for the Sunday service, using manuals and left foot only.  It was frustrating not being able to use my right foot, but wonderful to get the sound of the full organ again.  I played a Toccata by Bernardo Pasquini (C17 Italy) where the pedalling is fairly minimal and can be contained to the left foot.  (Nobody realised I was playing one-legged-ly, anyway!)   Thank you, also, for suggesting Baroque music from elsewhere in Europe, too.  Sweelinck - of course!   And I know what you mean about the opportunity that something like this brings to focus on other aspects of playing.   Every cloud has a silver lining!
Nicolette

Nicolette

Quote from: revtonynewnham on May 13, 2015, 12:30:33 PM
Having had problems with arthritis for a number of years, and both hips replaced, you just need to adjust playing (and maybe avoid more challenging pedal-dependent repertoire) for a while. Tony
Thanks for this advice, Tony, which I will bear firmly in mind for when it's all healed!
Nicolette

David Pinnegar

Hope your injury improves. My wife broke her wrist falling down a rabbit hole - you'll be fine in 6 weeks.

Best wishes

David P

Nicolette

Thanks, David.  It's getting better and I am now able to do most of what's required with the right foot, again.  Sorry to hear about the rabbit hole, though!
Nicolette