News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Church Organ Wanted...

Started by Nazard, February 16, 2015, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazard

Hello all,

Hoping you can help me!

Our church in Leicestershire currently has a 50 year old Walker 'Positif' model C, which we're looking to replace. In all honesty the instrument has never been big enough for the building, but the acoustics are good and it was probably helped by the marble floor of the altar and wooden floor of the nave.

Over the years the church has been carpeted, however, which hasn't helped what was already a problem. At present the Organ struggles with large congregations at Christmas or Easter, owing largely to the lack of a bottom octave on the Diapason or Dulciana ranks and the single 16' Bourdon on the pedals.

Without getting into too much of a debate about the merits/demerits of the 'Positif' design, we're looking for an instrument with a little more variation tonally but mainly some extra support and 'oomph' across the manuals and pedals.

The building design and layout prevents us from using a tracker action instrument, so electric or pneumatic is needed so the pipes can be sited elsewhere. Bearing in mind the space we have available, two manuals would be ideal - one would be insufficient and I suspect that any 3 manual instrument would be much too large for us.

Following the sourcing of a replacement instrument, our Walker would be available for sale. It is maintained regularly and would require some basic cleaning and minor attention to the electric action on the Diapason and Dulciana ranks, but very little else. Depending on the siting of a new instrument we may need to keep the lower octave of the Bourdon rank to act as a facade - this is obviously all academic at present in the absence of a replacement instrument in any case!

If you are aware of an instrument you feel may be suitable or could keep your eyes open and let me know, I'd be very grateful.

Best,

Tom

revtonynewnham

Hi

The Institute of British Organ Builders maintains a list of redundant organs on their web site - that's the first port of call.  Then talk to local (& not so local) organ builders. Many will have instruments"in stock" that may suit.  The Methodist Church also has a list of redundant  organs (many may well also be on the IBO listing).

Don;t forget that the Walker may well be just the thing for another, smaller, church!

Every Blessing

Tony

Nazard

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions. We are keeping an eye on the IBO Listings in the hope something suitable that doesn't require substantial amounts of work becomes available... might be asking a lot but you never know!

Our builder is also keeping their ear to the ground with regards to other instruments. We very nearly had an instrument from the Chapel at Leicester Royal Infirmary, which is being demolished, but it was saved elsewhere (which is a good result despite our non-success!) but I take your point in asking other builders.

I can't find a list on The Methodist Church but might be looking in the wrong areas.

As you say, a smaller church I think would be more than happy with our Walker. Our builder certainly seems to think he could sell it very easily, but we need something to replace it first!

David Drinkell

Try the Pipe Organ Preservation Co of Northern Ireland.  They have a number of redundant instruments available and what I've seen of their work is commendable.  If the Conacher from Oldpark Presbyterian Church, Belfast is still available, I can recommend it as a particularly effective example of the firm's later work, and it's quite compact with a detached console.

http://www.amccartney.org/popco/

revtonynewnham

Hi Nazard

Send me an  e-mail or PM with your e-mail ddress and I'll pass the query on to my contact in the Methodist Church.

Ever Blessing

Tony

David Wyld

Quote from: Nazard on February 16, 2015, 01:04:36 PM

If you are aware of an instrument you feel may be suitable or could keep your eyes open and let me know, I'd be very grateful.

Best,

Tom

Hello Tom,

If you can contact me directly we might be able to help!

Regards,

David Wyld
Henry Willis & Sons Ltd.

Nazard

Thanks all for your messages.

David, I've sent you a message through the Willis site - in case it doesn't get to you, PM me your direct email on here and I'll be in touch.

makemoreandmore

Take your pick from Harrison and Harrison or Norman and Beard. Both nice 2 manuals; the Harrison is already dismantled and good to go in.