News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

St George Redditch

Started by Barrie Davis, June 08, 2015, 01:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

I was told yesterday that this church had closed and that the fate of the organ is undecided, it was originally in an Oxford College Chapel and is a 3 manual built by Rushworth and Dreaper.

David Drinkell

Ex-Queen's College, oxford, supplanted when the Frobenius went in.  If it's anything like the Rushworth at St. James, Antrim Road, Belfast, which has an almost identical stop-list, it should be a fine instrument.

Gwas_Bach

One of the specs I've seen for this instrument seemed to list the sole reed on the Great as being at 16'.  That can't be right, can it?

Barrie Davis

You are right it is 8ft.

I understand that the leather motors are in a bad state and have been for some time.

JBR

Quote from: Barrie Davis on June 09, 2015, 10:20:43 AM
You are right it is 8ft.

I understand that the leather motors are in a bad state and have been for some time.

Do you happen to know whether Barry Barker and his wife (sorry, forgotten her name - she was the organist, I believe) were still involved until the closure?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Barrie Davis

Sorry but I do not know, maybe the Vicar of the church they amalgamated with could help.

Best wishes
Barrie

JBR

Thanks anyway.  It was a long time ago, when Barry was teaching at the University of Central England.

JBR

I was just reminiscing about early days and recall being invited by BB to have a play with the Redditch organ.  He explained that they had recently had a break-in and parts of the organ had suffered the consequences including, sad to say, the young gentlemen having urinated into some hooded reeds.
Perhaps worse, they had attempted to prise open a steel safe using a LEAD pipe!  Unsuccessfully, needless to say.
Of course, it goes without saying that most of our criminal fraternity are 'intellectually challenged'.  I suppose that's why they are criminals: too dim to do anything else.