News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

The composition of a Sesquialtera

Started by David Pinnegar, September 23, 2010, 04:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I noticed on the 100 stop specification on a Hauptwerk simulation sample set
http://www.silveroctopus.co.uk/prod02.htm
a Sesquialtera with 3 ranks at 17 19 22

One normally thinks of a Sesqualtera as just two ranks, a sixth apart, comprising the Nazard and Tierce 2 2/3' and 1 3/5', so that's 12 and 17 without the 2ft in the middle. The addition of the 2ft in the middle converts it, with the 4ft and an 8ft, into a Cornet. However, 17 19 and 22 is the Tierce, Larigot and 1ft. What should such a mixture be classified as?

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Traditionally, a Sesquialtera would be 2 ranks, as you say, and normally would run through the compass as 12th & Tierce.  Sometimes on early English organs you'll find a Cornet from middle c upwards complemented by a Sesquialtera in the bass.

However, in the Victorian era, the nomenclature of mixtures becomes somewhat confused, and Sesquialtera was used for any Mixture containing a third-sounding rank (and later I would guess for any mixture if the builder wanted a "posh" name!)  Audsley's views ("The Art of Organ Building" vol 1 p.442-446) show just how far the stop had drifted from its origins by the early 1900's.

It just goes to show the limitations of stop lists!  Looking at an organ's spec might give you some idea of the sound, but it's no substitute for hearing it in context - stops don't always do what you'd expect them to.  One example is the Stopped Diapason treble on the chamber organ in my church - an absolutely gorgeous stop, but considerably quieter than you'd normally expect in an organ of that age (it's actually softer than the Dulciana).

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi

Yes it is 12:17

Harrisons and Walkers made 17:19;22 bu t to my mind these didnt work

Barrie