News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Famous Compton theatre organ still seeks new home

Started by hammondjazz, August 03, 2015, 11:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammondjazz

The famous Compton theatre organ, formerly of the ABC Plymouth cinema, is still seeking a new home. The organ was removed from the former cinema in 2006, for a project to install it into Blackheath Halls, but the project was never fulfilled. It remains in safe storage.

The organ could be for sale given the right circumstances, or just a new home found. It needs restoration work, which can be arranged.

It is the most wonderful of the smaller Compton theatre organs ever made. 8 units, with 9 ranks, plus Melotone and percussion. It was broadcast on the radio by Dudley Savage for nearly 30 years.

I am seeking any suitable venue - a concert hall, large public hall, cinema, arts centre, performance space, school/college/university hall etc, preferably in the South of England (I am London based).

Some further info about the organ can be found on this website: http://www.ssfweb.co.uk/abc-organ/ - and we have also produced a promo video about the organ and original Blackheath project which is currently on Youtube - www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnnbbwOkoOg

Any suggestions or thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Peter
mail@taylor-hammond.com

Fr. Otto

... as Dudley Savage was born in Gulval (now virtually part of Penzance) and had Organ lessons with Mr. Behenna on the 3 Manual organ built by Crabb of Exeter (specification by S.S. Wesley) for St. Mary's, but slightly altered by Hele - and destroyed in an arson attack a few years back, couldn't somewhere in West Penwith be found for it? Compton's also produced a scheme for the St. Mary's Crabb/Hele - but the War intervened (and Donald Behenna was so vexed at losing his star pupil to ABC Cinemas, he would have been very reluctant to let them meddle with 'the finest Organ in the County, apart from the Cathedral'. I think Dudley Savage made his debut on the 3-rank (?) Compton in the ABC/Ritz in Queen St., Penzance.
FJRO