News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Alternatives to H**ptw**k free edition

Started by dragonser, September 24, 2010, 02:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonser

Hi,
just noticed that someone is selling an Ahlborn expander on ebay. ( romantic version )

Item number:    220673291617
Item location:    Baldock, United Kingdom

bidding starts at £ 500-00 ........
just thought someone might be interested ?

regards Peter B

[Please excuse - Forum Admin changed the title of this thread on account of it taking off in a different direction]

Holditch

Does anyone know it the stop list can be changed on these? and how easy it is to do?

Might be perfect for the pedals on my house organ (2 x 32ft stops may be slightly excessive however!)

Many thanks
Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I use these units in the plural and can thoroughly recommend them. However, they are no longer in production and although in the past it was possible to change the chips for others to change stops, this is not now possible. However, I think that I may have a spare set of 201 chips, the originals from my original 201 unit which the previous owner replaced. So in theory, they might plug into the Romantic to turn it into a 201.

Of all the units, perhaps the Romantic might not be the most useful. However, good Tuba and Bombarde in Section A and in Section B 6 stops of exquisite quality - a lively windy slotted diapason, a flute, a 4ft and Nazard, 2ft piccolo and a good Vox Humana. I use the Diapason on the Great of my instrument, although suspect that the bland diapason which I did not like on the original Makin might blend better.

In fact, instead of thinking of it for home, if you can get a second midi manual on your Sunday instrument and the first manual with a midi output too, this unit would be very useful. There is also on section A a Violincello and Cello Celeste which, quiet, would suit your requirements well. The secret of the Celeste is to voice it to be barely audible but to just make the difference . . .

If you don't want to go for it, perhaps I should! I want to construct a 4 manual instrument for concerts outside.

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Beyond my means unfortunately.  Why not ask Ahlborn, or their UK agents, if voicing changes are possible?  These are nice units.

Every Blessing

Tony

Holditch

Hi David,

Please feel free to bid, cash is a little tight at the moment and I don't want to start a bidding war!

I'll probably invest in something after the new year when I have the pipe section of my home instrument fully working, the current St Annes set of Hauptwerk with its incessant ping every 10 seconds will have to do for time being

Best Regards
Marc

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Holditch on September 24, 2010, 10:59:19 PM
Please feel free to bid, cash is a little tight at the moment and I don't want to start a bidding war!

I'll probably invest in something after the new year when I have the pipe section of my home instrument fully working, the current St Annes set of Hauptwerk with its incessant ping every 10 seconds will have to do for time being

Dear Marc

To be honest, it's a box that you would not regret pushing the boat out for, and it would be very very useful for your needs. Throw caution to the wind!

I probably won't bid but might offer £350 if it doesn't sell, and would rather you had it. I'm a little way off making the console I intend.

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

There is a free version of Hauptwerk currently available - restricted facilities, but it should run the St Anne's sample set.  You mat need to download the latest version, which on start up has the options of demo or free versions.  I have it, but have yet to get it properly configured.  Alternatively, if you can manage with Hauptwerk 1 sample sets (there are still a few around), then why not take a look at "Grande Orgue" (http://www.exedra.hu/grandorgue/).  It's open source software which seems to be very similar to "My Organ" (which I still have, but which currently is unavailable - I suspect due to commercial pressure).  Grand Orgue seems to be a little more resource hungry than My organ, and again, AFAIK, is limited to HW1 sample sets.  I hear rumours of an open source equivalent to Hauptwerk, but I've not seen anything concrete yet. 

Another possible system is JOrgan (uses Java as it's basic operating system).  I hear that it's good, but requires some degree of computer literacy - I've not tried it, but there is expertise in these areas in Electronic Organ Constructors' Society.  The third relatively easy option is MidiTzer - a theatre organ simulator (which does a fair job of classical sounds with careful registration).

Every Blessing

Tony

Holditch

Hi Tony

Many thanks for the information about "Grand Orgue" . I have downloaded it and I have the "Romanswiller, Eglise protestante (Extended)" set working very well with my pedal board. It is nice not to hear the ping of the Hauptwerk demo anymore!, and it runs considerably quieter on my PC than HW ever did. Well worth trying I would say

Many thanks
Marc 

revtonynewnham

Hi

Glad to be of help.  I'm sticking with "my Organ" for now, as it seems to be less computer resource hungry than Grande Orgue.  To my mind, one of the big problems with Hauptwerk is that it requires a pretty powerful computer, which adds to the cost.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I'd be interested to know if any of the alternatives provide support for unequal temperaments?

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

I've not seen any way of doing this so far.  There was an unequal temperament utility with a Harpsichord sample set (?Sigsoft or similar - it's on another computer that's not currently running) but I didn't get a chance to try it before the hard drive failed.  I doubt that it could be done easily unless the original samples were in the relevant temperament - or possibly each note of each could be detuned by the relevant amount - don't know if that's possible, and it would be very time consuming.

Every Blessing

Tony

barniclecompton

I had hauptwerk (with the virginia wurlitzer set, and a few other classical sets) running on a laptop with 3GB ram, and it coped fine! The smaller instruments run on an "average" computer now.

revtonynewnham

Hi

I now have 1.5G on the old Windows XP laptop that I use to run the organ sims.  (Recently increased from 750M when the old hard drive failed).  That will run reasonable 2m sets in "My Organ" easily, but Grande Orgue & HW Free are on the edge with sets that "My Organ" runs absolutely smoothly - to the extent that I used it - pre update - for a live performance last year.  The computer also runs the 2m MidiTzer with no problems - but that ran on 250Mb - albeit with significant latency.

Every Blessing

Tony

dragonser

Hi,
many thanks for the link to Grand Orgue.
when I get a chance I will investigate further ....
regards Peter B