News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Possibly the last recording of Wolverhampton's Civic Hall Compton

Started by hjtib1, December 15, 2015, 02:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hjtib1

David Drinkell

I don't know the instrument personally, but all the comments I've heard about it suggest that it's a very good Compton.  It sounds well worthy on the recording, and the Tuba comes over as particularly fine. 

Other YouTube recordings show it to be outstanding in theatre mode too.  Possibly, the thing that put off the Lottery people is that it isn't in its original condition.  There have been additions, and it originally had a Melotone unit which was removed at an early stage.  These changes may well have improved the instrument while being in keeping with its original style, but the Lottery folk can be queasy about alterations.

I hope they manage to keep it!

hjtib1

If it's down to alterations, just how many organs are left that havent been altered over the years at some stage? The civic's voicing is entirely original, which John Compton oversaw himself. The only alterations has been additional ranks, expansion of the specification, and the removal of the melotone by Arnold Richardson. If that's the lottery's way of thinking, then it's a wonder they give money to anything at all. I think partly the problem might be that it is part theatre organ and not strictly straight. However as you say, that does not distract from it's quality, only made it what it should have been from the start.

David Drinkell

Here's another example.  Colchester Town Hall has an exceptional 1902 Norman & Beard three manual organ.  It was restored last year by Harrisons' with the aid of a Lottery grant.  As part of the work, the alterations made to the Choir Organ (and one to the Swell) in about 1973 were reversed, restoring the original specification.

The additions might not sway the Lottery too much, but I think the missing Melotone might.  I don't think the dual character of the organ would count against it - rather the opposite as it makes it a rarity (along with Southampton Guildhall and Bournemouth Pavilion by Compton and the Dome, Brighton by HN&B).

Terz

Given the high regard that those writing seem to have for this organ (I have not seen or heard it) the non availability of Lottery funding will be a disappointment.  Presumably the officials deciding on Lottery funding have expert advice available to them in order to make their decision.  Can we please be told which member of the Association of Independent Organ Advisers was used to provide advice on this occasion?

Barrie Davis

I thought the organ had been rewired about 14 years ago. Where was the original console situated before it was made mobile?

Barrie

David Drinkell

An experienced adviser who knows how to fill in the Lottery application is a huge asset.  Bill McVicker did a marvellous job at Colchester, with the form and every other aspect of the project.

Even after 14 years, another rewiring might be needed, depending on who did the last one.  Not all work is up to Compton's standard (some of their jobs are still going well after fifty or sixty years, a rather better record than some much-lauded tracker organs of more recent times!).

organforumadmin

A report has been received asking for this topic to be removed.

It is a matter of interest relating to an instrument worthy of preservation and about which the future appears to hold question marks and has spawned a balanced discussion.

What might be the reasons?

Forum Admin

pcnd5584

Quote from: organforumadmin on December 17, 2015, 12:56:29 AM
A report has been received asking for this topic to be removed.

It is a matter of interest relating to an instrument worthy of preservation and about which the future appears to hold question marks and has spawned a balanced discussion.

What might be the reasons?

Forum Admin

I also wondered this - and have therefore not taken any action. I can see no problem with this thread remaining. it is clearly of interest and David's thoughtful and informed posts are both interesting and thought-provoking - as always.
Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

revtonynewnham

Hi

In the absence of replies to my questions to the person who wanted this post removed, I've closed the moderation topic.

Although sad to see an instrument that is currently in playable order and used regularly being "mothballed", at least work has been done to protect the pipework from dust/debris during the building renovation, and it's also very good to note that it will remain in situ, and not be broken up, scrapped, or moved elsewhere, so there is hope for a future re-instatement.

Every Blessing

Tony