Author Topic: Amateur organ builder Leo R.Hart  (Read 976 times)

chris13

• View Profile
Amateur organ builder Leo R.Hart
« on: January 07, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
Dear Forum members,
I am attempting to locate an acquaintance from many years ago named Leo Raymond Hart.

Leo and I lived in the same hostel at the Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Harwell between 1972 and 1975. It was 1975 that I left and I guess Leo went on living there for number of years thereafter.

Leo was building his own pipe organ in a worksop on the AERE site outside the security fence in a workshop loaned by the staff social club. He collected pipes from churches either closing down or installing electronic organs. He had built from scratch his own three manual/ radial pedal board console and either built new wind chests or refurbished the originals. He used electrical valve actuation. We built up a friendship perhaps because I took some interest in what he was doing and he didn't mind my attempts at playing hymns and carols on his organ.

The last I heard of Leo was that he had left Harwell in the mid 1980s and trained in nursing somewhere on the south coast, perhaps Portsmouth but I'm not sure, and I don't know what happened to the organ. The organ, albeit somewhat large, was reasonably transportable.

This note is just a long shot to ask if any forum member had ever come across Leo and therefore give me a clues as to where to start looking. I guess that he would be aged between 75 to 80 by now. My reason for trying to contact him is merely to renew our acquaintanceship and discuss our musical interests.

Locations of visitors to this page

Organ Design

Latroba Holidays