News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by Barrie Davis, February 26, 2016, 11:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

I came across a name I did not know for an organ stop, Coroboe, is it a cross between Cornopean and Oboe?

Best wishes,
Barrie

Nicolette

Sorry, but this does appeal to my sense of humour - if we've got a Coroboe, could we also have a Clarinotto, or a Fagottinet?  (Cross between a clarinet and fagotto!)    As I said, apologies!   ;D
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO

David Drinkell

It's not that uncommon, although sometimes split into two words - tone a cross between an Oboe and a Cornopean.  "Oboe Horn" is occasionally found also.

I find "Fagottone" amusing for some reason....

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Nicolette on February 26, 2016, 06:40:03 PMAs I said, apologies!   ;D

Were you not to have apologised I would've Forgottinit and not noticed anything unusual.

;-)

Best wishes

David P

David Drinkell

"String Gamba" is another funny one, which conjures up various visions.  John Budgen (ex-Bishop & Son) referred to a Gamba which he said was a string stop only insofar as it was "cross-stitched to the back of the swell box".

KB7DQH

My "doorbell" consists of an "oboe horn" with a 6 inch long resonator tuned at F#...  see    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozLAM8rlVA8 ;) ;) ;)
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

Nicolette

Brilliant!  The cat seems to like it, too!
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO

David Drinkell

Yay! neat!  Reminds me of the late Gilbert Benham (who wrote articles in "The Organ" before I was born).  He had stop-labels on various items of furniture, etc, in his house in north London.  The toilet flush was Contra Bombarde 32'.

I have a nameplate from a not-so-reputable Irish organ builder on mine....