News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Why Dom Bedos and St Maximin deserve their own subject area

Started by organforumadmin, March 29, 2010, 08:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

organforumadmin

Hi!

Perhaps to some the name Dom Bedos might merely be a name in the midst of time and far flung reaches of memory. But following his tradition leads to exciting instruments. . . If you haven't come across this genre before, try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSf7-4t_SWc

Need one say more . . . other than "How does this sound so amazing . . . ."

So this thread is here to explore this heritage, the organs, their construction and registration . . .

Best wishes

Forum Admin

KB7DQH

It doesn't hurt that specific construction information exists in book form 8)    I will have to dig around and find out if there are English language translations available.

I suspect Dom Bedos was the first organ builder who wrote and published a book on the subject of organ construction... I don't know of earlier texts which are as specific...

True there are few extant examples of original instruments but the project in Reiti, Italy certainly has its merits... not the least as a preservation through original reproduction concept.

Moreover, even "modern" instruments are influenced,  if even only a couple divisions employ
"tonal similarity"...    An example under construction in Texas of all places...   http://www.sacredhearthouston.org/OPUS19/index.html

I have not had an opportunity to read  the book by George Ashdown Audsley...  I should see if the local library has a copy buried somewhere...

Organ Scholars reading this... Please correct my if I am wrong ;)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

Audsley is very opinionated - he was one of those people who thought he was right and everyone else was wrong.  His books are an interesting read - but take what he says with a large pinch of salt!  His "ideal" is a very large romantic organ, with everything under expression (some stops in double swell boxes).  It's a concept that has little to do with "real" organ music (that's not intended to be derogatory to, e.g. Theatre Organ or Baroque or any other musical style - they all have their place).

Every Blessing

Tony

dragonser

Quote from: KB7DQH on June 03, 2010, 04:00:07 PM
It doesn't hurt that specific construction information exists in book form 8)    I will have to dig around and find out if there are English language translations available.

I would be interested to know this as well, as I didn't pay attention to the Lessons in French when I was at school !   I have both the Audsley Books and the diagrams are very good.
But are they worth the money ?