News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Is this forum dead? Is the organ dead?

Started by David Pinnegar, February 14, 2017, 08:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Drinkell

I've just remembered: the 3 manual 1858 Father Willis at Lambourn, Berkshire, had an "Oboe Orchestral" on the Great (short compass to tenor G) until Nicholsons' replaced it with a sharp mixture in 1964.  I don't know the organ, but it is reputed to be a particularly fine one. 

http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=N09975

One sometimes encounters rather robust solo reeds  on Father Willis Greats, although not normally in an organ as large as this.  I'm reminded of the organ at Foxearth, Essex, which has a very forthright Corno di Bassetto - fine for Susato, but one wonders how it was used in 1863....

http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=D02729

JBR

I'd just like to thank those involved for enlightening me with regard to oboes!

I have to say that I visit this forum (and one other organ site) every day in the hope of encountering threads on the subject of organ structure, history and tonality.  Sadly, more than often discussions tend to be concerning the music of the organ and its composers and players, although I can perfectly well appreciate that.  This last couple of days, however, has been like a trip to heaven!  Thanks again.

Perhaps we might see more discussion of my favoured subjects.  Ian's suggestions about Stumm and Schnitger would be very welcome as far as I'm concerned, and why not more about other European instruments and builders?  :)
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

organforumadmin

The server has been migrated to a secure encrypted system and is it possible that any technical difficulties have caused people not to be able to access the forum?

Please let us know.

Forumadmin

JBR

Perhaps we should have a show of hands by those who can still see this.  Admin might then wish to try to contact other regular posters.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

David Wyld

Well this is my showing of hands - I can see it!

As to the original question - no,  the organ isn't dead and neither is this or any other of the similar forum-platforms.  My own suggestion is that we lead VERY busy lives these days - lives  which would actually have horrified our grandparents in terms of the pace at which we must do everything: the concomitant is that some things only occupy our minds as and when they occur,  such as contributing to this forum when we see something that interests us or when someone has a particular question to ask.

I don't read anything more into it but I'm happy to be proved wrong.   My own excuse is that we're currently in the busiest time of the year - Christmas tunings,  which take a hell of a lot of organization,  to get through so many in such a short time.

DW

dragonser

Hi,
well I seem to have success  logging in here. But yes the comments about everyone leading busy lives is very true ....
have the font sizes changed ?
Hopefully other people here can post as their time allows.
regards Peter B

pcnd5584

I have had no problems logging-in this evening. Later (or, perhaps tomorrow), I hope to have a good read through as many new posts as possible.

Best wishes to all our readers, posters and lurkers....
Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

David Pinnegar

It's good to see you back. 

The Organ needs INSPIRATION from such proponents as you!

Best wishes

David P

Ian van Deurne

Hi everyone!
Sorry I haven't been around for a while but like David Wyld has said, there is often times when organ builders have to get on and make a living. My time lately, before Christmas has been totally taken up with tuning. After that, I've been away in the Netherlands for Christmas and the new year, spending time with my family and friends over there. Consequently, I've not had any time to visit this forum but I'm hoping that over the next few months I will be able to rectify the situation.
       As to the question posed here........ No, the organ is not dead, it will never be dead. It is a musical instrument, it assumes its own purpose, through the hearts and minds of it's performers and listeners. You must remember that the organ, in the beginning was only installed in a church because it was the only building large enough to accommodate it.. As time moved on this incredible instrument was found a place in the liturgy, but only after a long and complicated argument about whether it was deemed suitable to be in a building dedicated to the gospels and the teaching of the Christian church. Eventually, after it was realised that the organ was indispensable to lead the singing of the congregation, starting from around 1640 onwards on the continent and I'm sorry to say, very much later in England, it's existence was assured..
       Now, during this present age in many churches are replacing guitars for gedackts and mixtures for mouth organs,  it might seem that the King of Instruments might well have had its day, but it really doesn't matter in the long run. This age of "happy clapper" nonsense will one day soon outlive it's sell by date. The reason for this, in my mind is that the average person, whether they be old or young, , rich or poor is searching for a reason as to why they exist, spinning around on this reletively small planet out in the middle of God only knows where. Not any amount of this kind of superficial claptrap will ever give any answer to their questions. Therefore, they must at sometime realise this, if they have any brain at all and start once again to research the higher aspects of existence......oh,but now I'm getting sidetracked.

The organ, whatever happens to religion in the next 1000 years or whenever, will survive simply because it is. It is the greatest musical instrument ever conceived by human beings, not only because of its incredible voice, but also because of its technical innovations that were started long before anything else. Organ builders in the 17th century were held in the same esteem as rocket scientists might be today. As long as there are people who love music on this earth, the organ will always be there, whatever happens with religion.

Sorry, I'm thinking all this as I write so once again I'm getting of topic!

As promised, I'll do some more writing on some of the great organ builders of history, including the family Stumm, as I've now retrieved my notes from my daughter. I also hope to provide some insight into some fascinating instruments that have been built over the last 400 years that I've been privileged to study and play.

Until then, best wishes from
Ian.

I

David Pinnegar

Ian - thanks for your wonderful contributions and although the path might seem lonely, contributing from the wealth of knowledge you, and others, have is the only way of encouragement forward into the future generations.

Best wishes

David P