Author Topic: Is this forum dead? Is the organ dead?  (Read 3054 times)

David Drinkell

• View Profile
Re: Is this forum dead? Is the organ dead?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
I've just remembered: the 3 manual 1858 Father Willis at Lambourn, Berkshire, had an "Oboe Orchestral" on the Great (short compass to tenor G) until Nicholsons' replaced it with a sharp mixture in 1964.  I don't know the organ, but it is reputed to be a particularly fine one. 

http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=N09975

One sometimes encounters rather robust solo reeds  on Father Willis Greats, although not normally in an organ as large as this.  I'm reminded of the organ at Foxearth, Essex, which has a very forthright Corno di Bassetto - fine for Susato, but one wonders how it was used in 1863....

http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=D02729

JBR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 11:11:41 PM »
I'd just like to thank those involved for enlightening me with regard to oboes!

I have to say that I visit this forum (and one other organ site) every day in the hope of encountering threads on the subject of organ structure, history and tonality.  Sadly, more than often discussions tend to be concerning the music of the organ and its composers and players, although I can perfectly well appreciate that.  This last couple of days, however, has been like a trip to heaven!  Thanks again.

Perhaps we might see more discussion of my favoured subjects.  Ian's suggestions about Stumm and Schnitger would be very welcome as far as I'm concerned, and why not more about other European instruments and builders?  :)
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

organforumadmin

• Administrator
  • Organ Matters - Music - Building - Preservation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:50 PM »
The server has been migrated to a secure encrypted system and is it possible that any technical difficulties have caused people not to be able to access the forum?

Please let us know.

Forumadmin

JBR

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 11:24:53 PM »
Perhaps we should have a show of hands by those who can still see this.  Admin might then wish to try to contact other regular posters.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

David Wyld

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 10:01:57 AM »
Well this is my showing of hands - I can see it!

As to the original question - no,  the organ isn't dead and neither is this or any other of the similar forum-platforms.  My own suggestion is that we lead VERY busy lives these days - lives  which would actually have horrified our grandparents in terms of the pace at which we must do everything: the concomitant is that some things only occupy our minds as and when they occur,  such as contributing to this forum when we see something that interests us or when someone has a particular question to ask.

I don't read anything more into it but I'm happy to be proved wrong.   My own excuse is that we're currently in the busiest time of the year - Christmas tunings,  which take a hell of a lot of organization,  to get through so many in such a short time.

DW
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:05:35 AM by David Wyld »

dragonser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »
Hi,
well I seem to have success  logging in here. But yes the comments about everyone leading busy lives is very true ....
have the font sizes changed ?
Hopefully other people here can post as their time allows.
regards Peter B

pcnd5584

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 09:53:06 PM »
I have had no problems logging-in this evening. Later (or, perhaps tomorrow), I hope to have a good read through as many new posts as possible.

Best wishes to all our readers, posters and lurkers....
Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

Locations of visitors to this page

Organ Design

Latroba Holidays