News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Sibelius users!

Started by David Drinkell, September 16, 2017, 09:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Drinkell

A question for Sibelius users: how does one get Norwegian letters (the "a" with a little circle over it and the "o" with an oblique stroke through it?

I've been trying to find how do it, but no luck so far!

JBR

Quote from: David Drinkell on September 16, 2017, 09:50:11 PM
A question for Sibelius users: how does one get Norwegian letters (the "a" with a little circle over it and the "o" with an oblique stroke through it?

I've been trying to find how do it, but no luck so far!

The only suggestion I can offer is to use Word (Insert/Symbol), type the word including the å or ø (see how I did that!), copy it and then paste into Sibelius.
I'm not sure whether Sibelius will accept text created in Word, but perhaps it's worth a try.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

revtonynewnham

Hi
I'm not a Siberlius user either, but in editing NPOR we often need more than the basic characters (letters with acvents etc.).  I use a built-in utility of Windows called "Character Map".  You may have to search for it - its location has been moved in different versions of Windows, sometimes hidden under tools or similar in the full list of programmes/apps.  That allows you you find all sorts of strange charachters, and either copy & paste them, or with many there's a 4 digit code that requires the ALT key to be depressed whilst it's entered in the document.  Worth a try anyway.

Every Blessing

Tony

JBR

Yes, Tony.  I had forgotten about that, but I've now found it hidden away somewhere and added it to my toolbar.
It certainly works when posting on here.  Let's hope it also works in Sibelius.

David Drinkell

Thank you for suggestions so far.  I've tried a few fixes, but Sibelius doesn't appear to want to allow pasting in of Word items.  It may be that I'm too thick to work out the right way....

I may just put in the little marks by hand on the hard copy.

The trouble is, people over here tend to use Finale, so Sibelius users are thin on the ground!

JBR

Can you overwrite letters on Sibelius, or perhaps move letters about to position them anywhere?
If that is the case you could, for example, place an 'O' somewhere and then superimpose a '/' on top of it.  Similarly, an 'A' with a (reduced size) 'o' placed above it.