News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

organ NOT available

Started by Madmerlin, December 08, 2011, 12:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmerlin

Hi

I am not an organ expert but am in possession of a fully working Alfred Hunter grand organ circa either 1869 or 1902 . This was from my research originally from ebley chapel stroud . I have listed this on ebay and found this organisation. I am keen to find a good home for this instrument which I am told is of historical interest .

Incidentally trying to register on this site to tell you guys about this instrument was difficult .Just for your information.

Madmerlin

diapason

Link to ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfred-Hunter-Grand-Pipe-Organ-probably-1902-maybe-1869-/110790932350?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item19cba7777e

and also to NPOR (I hope this is the correct organ)

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N00787

It looks a very nice instrument.  Any more information about it's current condition - eg location,  whether playable -might help.

N

David Pinnegar

Hi!

If that's the specification, it will have been exquisitely executed by Hunter and it's likely to be a particularly good quality and versatile instrument.

This instrument is worth pulling out all the stops in making efforts to find a new home. I hope that it's not simply broken up for pipework.

Best wishes

David P

Madmerlin

The organ is currently fully assembled in a church I have acquired for development . It was moved into the church in 1970 and was overhauled at that time. It has been played by several organists who tell me it is working well. I have heard it playing and it sounds great . It is not on national organ register as far as i can tell . Current location is in peterborough and if anyone wishe sto come and see it then that is fine.

I am not as i say an organ enthusiast but this is a beautiful thing and I am very reluctant to do anything that might destroy it . It is however approximately 7ft wide 7 ft deep and 15 ft or so high dimensions approximate and it has to be moved from where itis at some point.

Madmerlin

Madmerlin

Hi again

I have looked up the NOR enrty given and this organ did come from stroud orginally so may be that one currently in congregational church in millfield peterborough having been move dfrom stroud in 1970 when the congregational church there closed and was emolished so may be the correct one I do not know for sure .

Madmerlin

revtonynewnham

Hi

I don't think the NPOR reference is correct - the organ referred to on NPOR has a detached console - the picture on eBay looks like an "En Fenetre" attached console. 

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Madmerlin on December 09, 2011, 08:56:50 AM
The organ is currently fully assembled in a church I have acquired for development .

Why then, might I ask, don't you incorporate the organ as a working musical resource within the development?

Perhaps development need not be as sterile as modern times have become.

Real music has been sucked out of the population to the extent to which people now are beginning to appreciate its value in the teaching and lives of children and their development into adults. Having an organ incorporated as a facility might set a trend.

The other problem with the sterility of residential development is that seperating places to live from places to work sucks the life out of communities causing an absolute necessity on commuting and car transport.

If the instrument would be speaking into a much smaller volume, then it can be voiced down to do so as was the Hunter at Addington Palace when placed in the Octagon Room on its rebuild from Ewell Congregational Church.

Mad by username, a magician by username, is this not the time and opportunity to do it properly?

Best Wishes,

David P

Madmerlin

I have uploaded pictures of organ stops pedal bord to the ebay listing if anyone wishe sto see them

diapason

I see it was withdrawn from Ebay.  Has it been sold?

Madmerlin

Hi

No oRgan has not been sold I was concerne dtaht those bidding had the intention of breaking it up for use as spare parts or as scrap metal. In light of these concerns I withdrew the organ from sale on ebay .

Madmerlin

diapason

Well done!  That was a brave decision and well justified in view of the importance of the such a fine instrument.  These days, far too many organs are broken up for scrap which is a tragic waste.  What are your plans now for the instrument?  If you are looking to re-home it, then I'm sure that members of this forum local to you may be able to put you in touch with the diocesan organ advisor for the C of E who may know of a church looking for an organ.  Another useful contact is the IBO redundant organs website http://www.ibo.co.uk/IBO2005/services/redundant/redundantMain.asp

Please keep us posted as things progress.

Nigel

Madmerlin

hi all

I am considering incorporatingthe organ intothe designof the conference facility I am building in the church where organ currently sits . Somementioned it couldbe voiced down ?? and soem advice / contacts on tuning and advice on whetehr what we are intending to do will mean that organ could still be played would be useful. we are growing quite fond of it now and have decided tahtr it can continue to occupyythe space it has and we will work around it. We were hopingto design the organ into a wall with a removal front which could then mean we could have it played at concerts and such. We ahve no idea if this is feasible . The organ has now been played by an expert and he is of the opinion 5that it just requires tuning . Any suggestions as to who could advise on the housing for the instrument so as to ensure the best playing accoustics within the limits of practicality would be most welcome.

Madmerlin

Madmerlin

Hi again sorry

we would also love to know how to putthe instrument on the NORi since we do not believe it has an entry and sincethe organ is almost in original state think maybe would be a good idea to get someone from the registry to place it on the register but have noidea how to go aboutthat either

MadMerlin

revtonynewnham

Hi

An e-mail with the relevant info to the NPOR office is the best way.  The web site is http://www.npor.org.uk/  If you click on the "Help" tab and notes for contibutors, you can download a survey form - and the e-mail address is on that page as well.

Please be aware that we do have rather a large backlog at present, so it may be some time before the survey appears!

Every Blessing

Tony
(NPOR Editor)

KB7DQH

Madmerlin-- Congratulations on your decision to retain the organ and incorporate it into your development scheme...  Which of course means that once the "development" is completed, the organ remains "available"... to performers and audiences alike.

You are fortunate in that the instrument other than requiring tuning (and what pipe organ in its life doesn't :o   is "alive and well" so apart from protecting it from dust and damage during the remodel is essentially "ready to go" once you have completed the work... 

For a bit of additional inspiration I suggest you have a look athttp://www.organmatters.com/index.php/topic,176.msg499.html#msg499 andhttp://www.organmatters.com/index.php/topic,580.msg2439.html#msg2439 to see what has been done elsewhere ;)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Madmerlin on January 03, 2012, 11:22:13 AM
I am considering incorporatingthe organ intothe designof the conference facility I am building in the church where organ currently sits . Somementioned it couldbe voiced down ??

Hi!

I was not looking at the forum yesterday and missed your announcement. WOW! Fantastic and congratulations! I think that you'll not regret the decision. There is an example of this at the convent in Forest Row which became a bank training centre and then a prestige hotel, the Ashdown Park Hotel. There is another at Earlswood Redhill where the organ was incorporated into the leisure centre replete with swimming pool! It would be great for someone to do a concert there. It had been a loony-bin and the retention of the organ was mad enough to be part of the facilities for the residents of the apartments and houses created there.

As for voicing down, the Hunter at Addington Palace had been voiced down for the Octagon Room and I believe that Paul Isom, from memory, knows something about it . . . but that was a generation ago. Matthew Copley of Organ Design voiced it back up for a larger room and would certainly be capable of doing it for you.

Best wishes and Happy New Year!

David P

AnOrganCornucopia

That Ashdown Park organ deserves to be better known. There's also a big 4m Wurlitzer recently gone into another Sussex hotel - at a big golf course  >:( - at Little Horsted.

Glad to hear this Hunter is being preserved.

diapason

Really good news that this organ is to be included in the new plans for the building.  I wish that more developers had the courage and foresight of Madmerlin.  I hope that we can see some pictures as the scheme goes ahead and hear the organ in concert when it is completed.

N