News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

The Stumm Organ Dynasty (II)

Started by Ian van Deurne, April 14, 2019, 10:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian van Deurne

Here I am then with the second part, but first I need to make a small correction. Johann Michael Stumm, the founder of the dynasty married Eulalia Laux in 1704, not in 1714 as stated. This makes a difference because the birth dates of his two sons which we are now most concerned with wouldn't have made sense.
These two sons are;

Johann Philipp Stumm (b.24 August 1705, Sulzbach - D. 18 December 1776, Sulzbach).
Johann Heinrich Stumm (b.24 April 1715 (?), Sulzbach - 23 August 1778, Sulzbach).

Characteristics of the organ building practices of the second generation included the placement of the console on either the left or right side of the organ and the replacement of the usual Rückpositiv with eithe an Ober or Unterpositiv above or below the Hauptwerk. The Pedal pipes were usually situated behind the organ. The brothers also contributed to a large number of organ cases which conformed to the already established designs of the Rheinland.

By 1739, both brother were working in the Sulzbach workshops with their father, which they were both to take over upon his death in 1747. Their youngest brother Johann Friedrich (I) Stumm (natal and fatel dates uncertian) also worked with them from the time he left school. The fourth brother Johann Nikolaus Stumm (1706-1779) after working with his father and brothers in the Sulzbach workshops from the time he became of age, arried a girl from the town of Kastellaun and where he would eventually move to and start a seperate organ building of his own, although it is thought that he also still worked on a number of organs, especially the larger ones with his brothers. The Kastellaun workshop produced organs between 1748-1779 when he died. In later years his only son Heinrich Ernst Stumm (1756-1802) would work with him at the Kastellaun workshop. This part of the family still needs far more research done on it as we don't as yet have a definitive list of the instruments they solely built and where, and how much, if any of their work survives intact.

This was the heyday of the Sulzbach workshops which produced organs not only of the highest quality, but they were to also greatly extend the area where their instruments can be found.

LIST OF ORGANS

1744     OBERLAHNSTEIN     St Martin   II/P-22
1962     Major restoration by Johannes Klais Orgelbau, Bonn   
1987   Restoration and revision of intonation by Van Deurne Orgelbau, Bendorf.
The organ remains as the builder left it and is in very good condition.

1745   ENSHEIM   Ev. Kirche   I/P-9
1984   First major restoration by Förster & Nicolaus
For the most part completely intact.

C:1749   KOBLENZ   St Maximim   I/P-8
Only the original case remains, the organ itself has been rebuilt many times.

1748-50   TRABACH   Ev. Kirche   II/P-22
1935  Alteration and enlargement by Otto Steinmeyer, increasing the number of stops to 27.
2008-10  Full restoration by Rainer Müller of Mexheim

1750  HEIMERSHEIM   Mauritiuskirche   I/p-9
1999  Restored by Förster & Nicolaus but only teo original stops remain intact.

1751  RAVERSBEUREN   Ev. Kirche   I/P-10
1892  Rebuilt and tonal specification slightly altered (builder unknown)
1972  Orgen restored and returned to its original disposition by Gebr. Oberlinger.

1753  SIMMERN (Hunsrück)   St Josef   ?/?-?
After various rebuilds in the 19th century, a new organ was built by local builder Heinrich Voltmann
Only part of the Stumm case survives.

1753-55  INGELHEIM   Burgkirche   ?/?-?
1913  After several 19th century rebuilds, a new organ was built by F. Walcker using the original Stumm case in the cetre of the gallery..
1963  Another new organ built by Emanuel Kemper when the Unterpositiv case was removed and the rest transferred to the northern side of the gallery.

1755  OSTHOFEN   Bergkirche   II/P-22
1748-55 Between these years the Stumm brothers built a one-manual organ before dding a second Positiv manual
1903  The organ was replaced with an entirely new one built by Orgelbau Link

1752-56  BECHTOLDSHEIM   Simultankirche  (Ev.)   II/P-28
1899  Rebuilt by Heinrich Bechstein but the greater part of the Stumm pipework remains intact.
2014-15  Full restoration by Förster & Nicolaus.

1757  TRIER   Welschnonnenkirche   I/p-11
1865  Rebuilt by Fa. Breidenfeld into original case.
1957  Further rebuilt by Gebr. Oberlinger
The specification now stands at II/P-23 and is the oldest organ in the city.

1758  DANNENFELS

Ian van Deurne

Don't know what happened there. I never pressed POST. Anyway, I will carry on.

1758  DANNENFELS  Ev. Kirche   II/P-12
The organ remains as the Stumm brothers left it, fully intact.

1758-59  DURLACH   Stadtkirche   III/P-39
1896  New organ by Heinrich Volt
1999  Restored by Fa. Goll Orgelbau
Only the case and three Principal registers by Stumm remain.

1759  WÖRRSTADT    Laurentiuskirche (RC)   II/P-30
1842  Overhauled and tonal specification altered by Bernhard Dreymann.
Further alterations followed over the next decades but most of the Stumm pipework survived intact, mostly due to their unbridled reputation in this part of Germany.
1975  A full restoration by Gebr. Oberlinger.
2001  Further overhaul with regulation and re-intonation by Rainer Müller to recover the original sound of the Stumm pipework.

1754-61  ENKIRCHE   Ev. Kirche   II/P-26
        With this instrument, the Stumm brothers worked at first with another local builder, Theodor Claus of Cochem
1905 The organ was renovated and slightly tonally altered by Gustav Stumm.
1962 Organ restored and returned to its original disposition by Oberlinger.

I: HAUPTWERK

Großgedackt 16
Principal 8
Hohlpfeiff 8
Gamba 8
Quintadena 8
Oktav 4
Kleingedackt 4
Salicional 4
Quint 3
Superoktav 2
Tertz (1.3/5)
Mixtur 4 fach
Trompet 8 (throughout)
Vox Angelica 2 (bass - reed)

II: UNTERPOSITIV

Gedackt 8
Flauto travers 8 (diskant)
Principal 4
Rohrflöte 4
Oktav 2
Quint 1.1/2
Flageolet 1
Sesquialter 2 fach
Mixtur 2 fach
Krummhorn 8
Tremulant

PEDAL

Subbaß 16
Oktavbaß 8
Oktav 4
Rohrpfeif 2
Posaune 16

KOPPELUNGEN

I/P  II/P  II/I

1761  MANNHEIM   Konkordienkirche   ?/?-?
1795  The organ was completely destroyed in a church fire.

1762  METTENHEIM  (Rheinhessen)  Ev. Kirche   II/P-23
18??  Tonally altered by Heinrich Bechstein
1985  Restored and re-intonated by Förster & Nicolaus.
         The organ can be regarded once again as being in original condition. 

1764  BORNHEIM  (Rheinhessen)  Ev. Kirche   I/P-9
          The organ remains as built.

1766  FREIMERSHEIM  (Rheinhessen)  Ev. Kirche   I/P-9
         Sometime in the early 20th century the Trompet 8 was replaced, otherwise original.
         The specification is the same as her "sister organ" at Bornheim.

1764-68  MEISENHEIM  Schlosskirche   II/P-29
1687  Tonally altered slightly by Meyer Orgelbau, Herford but no pipes were replaced.
1968  Returned to its original disposition by Gebr. Oberlinger.
1994  Full restoration by Förster & Nicolaus so it can now be regarded as being back in original condition.

1768-69  ROTH (Rhein-Hunsrück-Kreis)   Ev. Kirche   I/P-c.10
         Originally built in the west gallery
1783  A full restoration by Carl Friedrich Stumm
1852  The organ was taken down and placed in the Choir (builder unknown).
1892  Tonally altered (builder unknown)
1929  Replaced with a new organ by Gebr. Oberlinger.
1964  Organ returned to the west gallery. Only the original case by Stumm remains.

1769  RHEINBERG   St Peter   II/P-21
         Originally built for another unknown church
2009  The organ was replaced by a new instrument by Weimbs Orgelbau
         The original Stumm case remains.

1770  WORMS-PFEDDERSHEIM   Simultankirche (= conjoined church, evangelical part)  II/P-25
1913  The organ was replaced by a new instrument by Walcker built into the original case.

1771  BÄRSTADT  Martinskirche   II/P-23
         The organ remains fully as built.
2015  A full restoration was carried out by Förster & Nicolaus.

1772  HILLESHEIM   St Martin   I/P-14
1872  Rebuild and enlargement by Gebr. Müller Orgelbau (now II/P-28)
         Six original registers and the case by Stumm is all that remains.

1773  GAU-ODERNHEIM   Simultankirche (Ev.)   II/P-22
         The organ was rebuilt at least twice in the 19th century
         The case of neo-Gothic design replaced the original c.1881
2001  Restored by Förster & Nicolaus. 14 original stops* by Stumm remain.

I: HAUPTWERK

Groß Quintadena 16
Principal 8 (case)
Gedackt 8*
Viol di Gamba 8*
Oktav 4*
Flauto4+Superoktav 2*
Terz 1.3/5*
Mixtur 4 fach

II: OBERPOSITIV

Quintadena 8
Flauto traverso 8*
Principal 4*
Flöte 4
Oktav 2
Nassat 1.1/2
Flageolet 1*
Mixtur 3 fach (2001 replaced unoriginal Salicional 8)
Vox Humana 8*

PEDAL

Violonbaß 16
Subbaß 16*
Oktavbaß 8
Posaune 16*

KOPPELUNGEN

I/P  II/I

Tremulant

1773  MAINZ   Augustinerkirche   II/P-35
Built when the church was still part of an abbey. The original case design took up the whole width of the west gallery with the Hauptwerk in the centre, two Pedal sections on the north and south sides with a Kronpositiv above containing five stops conducted off the main Hauptwerk windchests. During the 19th and early 2oth centuries the case were altered Tonal alterations included the removal of the original reeds, said to be because they were originally "too French sounding". The Gamba 8 of the Hauptwerk and the Mixtur of the Positiv were also removed as well as replacement of the console for a free-standing one.
1991  Förster & Nicolaus Orgelbau undertook a full restoration of the organ which included the reconstruction of the original Hauptwerk reeds as well as the Gamba 8 and Mixtur of the Positiv. The remainer of the pipework is all original and is regarded today as one of the most beautiful sounding and visually inspiring of all the organs built by the Stumm family.

1775  SAARBRÜCKEN     Ludwigskirche   II/P-37
1944  The organ was destroyed through bombing, although the church survived and was rebuilt.
1982  A new organ was built in the rebuilt church by Rudolph von Beckerath (III/P-49) which was later placed within a copy of the original Stumm case by Orgelbau Kuhn.

c.1775  FRAMERSHEIM   Ev. Kirche  I/P-18
1981 A full restoration was undertaken by Förster & Nicolaus. The original organ for the most part survives.

1776  IRMENACH  Ev. Kirche   I/P-13
1965  The organ was altered by Gebr. Oberlinger which included replcing the original Trompet 8 and Vox Humana 8 for a Principal 8 and Aeoline 8.
         The Pedal compass was also extended from C-c' to C-d'.
1996  The organ was restored by Gustav Cartellieri who replaced the two reeds by removing the Principal and Aeoline although the extended Pedal compas remains.
         The Manual keyboards are divided between C-b in the bass and c-c''' in the treble.

MANUAL

Gedackt 8 (b/d)
Salicional 8 (b/d)
Traversflöte 8 (d)
Principal 4
Kleingedackt 4
Quint3
Oktave 2
Tery (1.3/5)
Mixtur 3 fach
Trompet 8 (b/d)
Vox Humana 8 (b/d)

PEDAL

Subbaß 16
Oktavbaß 8
Pedalcoppel

1778  BENDORF-SAYN     Abbey   Maria Himmelfahrt & St Johannes Evangelist    II/P-24

When I first moved to Germany in the early 1970's and after getting married, my new wife and I set up what was to become our family home in this village, along with our three children for nearly thirty years. This organ therefore, together with its "sister organ" just up the road in Heimbach Weis (see part one) were the first two instruments built by the Stumm family that I had ever encountered, which is why over the course of some forty-five years have grown to love and admire for the wonderful sound and build quality that their instruments possess.

The organ was placed cetrally on the west gallery of the abbey with the console at the side as is usually the case. The contract still survives and is dated 28th March 1778. It specifies that the casework should be made of the best quality oak and finished with appropriate decoration. The organ will be supplied with three wind bellows and with two manual keyboards with black ebony naturals and white ivory accidentals with a compass from C - d''' (51 notes) while the separate Pedal will have a compass from C - f  (just 18 notes!).

1887  The tonal specification was slightly altered and elarged to 29 stops. The gallery was deepened but the position of the organ remained unaltered so it was now standing in the centre of the gallery.

By the beginning of the 20th century the condition of the organ had deteriorated to such a degree that it became unplayable due to the extreme damp conditions inside the building, due to leaking roofs and to the fact that there wasn't any oney to available for any restoration work either for the organ or the building itself.
1954  The first attempt at a restoration of the organ finally got underway when for some unknown reason the Unterpositiv pipework and its case which was built into the breast of the main organ was separated from it and placed on the front of the gallery as a Rückpositiv.

1996-97  A full comprehensive restoration was finally carried out by Johannes Klais Orgelbau, Bonn. Apart from the task of restoring all the original pipework, they also removed the Unterpositiv from the front of the gallery and placed it back into the main case. So once again the organ is more or lass back in its original condition as the Stumm family left it   , aprt from the Pedal compass which had been extended to C - c' (25 notes) an alteration that datees from way back in the instrument's past.

My own company had been invited to tender for this work but unfortunately we were extremely busy, with three new organs under construction plus several restoration contracts ihand to be fulfilled. Although this in itself was a very good thing, I was still very sad that we had neither the space nor enough staff to be able to take on such an important task. That oupled with the fact that our German workshops were only 1.1/2 kilometres away from the abbey in the main town of Bendorf made it even more upsetting at the time. Howeer, with the contract finally being awarded to the organ builder that had originally trained me as a master organ builder, the regret of having to refuse the contract at least provided as small amount of comfort than would have been the case otherwise.

I: UNTERPOSITIV

Pordong 8 (sic)
Flaut travers 8
Principal 4
Rohrflaut 4
Quint 3
Oktav 2
Mixtur 3 fach
Crom Horn 8
Vox Humana 8
Tremulant

II: HAUPTWERK

Großgetact 16 (sic)
Principal 8
Hohl Pfeiff 8
Viol di Gamba 8
Oktav 4
Salcional 4
Flaut 4
Quint 3
Superoktav 2
Tertz (1.3/5)
Cornet 4 fach
Mixtur 4 fach
Trompet 8

PEDAL

Subbaß16
Oktavbaß 8
Violoncell 8
Quint 6
Superoktav 4
Posaun Baß 16
Clarin Baß 4

Pedalcoppel  (II/P
Manualscheibecoppel  (Manual shove coupler - reconstructed)
New mechanical playing and stop action.

1778  FRANKFURT-AM-MAIN  Katharinenkirche   III/P-41

1790  Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart gave an organ concert here.

1883  The firm of Walcker built a new organ within the Stumm case.
1909  Rebuilt by Steinmeyer, again in the original case.
1944  Church and organ destroyed. Some old photographs of the interior of the church and organ still exist.

1780  SCHAUREN  (near Idar-Oberstein)  Ev. Kirche   I/P-13
         During the early 20th century some ranks were replaced.
1969  Replacement of the original lost stops by Gebr. Oberlinger,

1774-82  AMORBACH   former Benedictine Abbey   IV/P-66
         The largest organ built by the Stumm family and the only one that is internationally known as one of the finest German organs of the Classical Period,
1774  The organ was originally built containing 46 registers but was subsequently enlarged by the two brothers until it reached its completion in 1782
1868  The first major restoration was carried out by the firm of G. F. Steinmyer of Oettingen. During the 19th nd 20th centuries the organ continued to be cared for, 
         including making several tonal alterations and enlagements by the same firm.
1981-82 A full and comprehensive restoration was undertaken by Steinmeyer and Klais between them. The Echowerk, Hauptwerk and Positiv were returned to their original tonal specifications as the Stumm brothers had left them while the several worthwhile additions of later times were incorporated into a new fourth manual designed as a large Recit/Schwellwerk with reeds in the French style. A new four-manual mechanical/electric action integrated console was installed in the traditional posotion in the front casework, replacing a free standing electric action console of earlier times.

I: ECHOWERK

Hohlpfeife 8
Flaut 8
Gämesenhorn 4
Oktav 2
Quint 1.1/2
Flageolet 1
Krummhorn/Hautbois (b/d)
Vox Humana 8
Tremulant

II: HAUPTWERK

Principal 16
Bourdon 16
Oktav 8
Gedackt 8
Viol di Gamba 8
Quint a Töne 8
Super Oktav 2
Klein Gedackt 4
Quint 3
Oktav 2
Cornet 5 fach (c')
Mixtur 6 fach
Cymbal 3 fach
Trompet 8 (b/d)
Vox Angelica 2 (b - reed)

III: POSITIV

Principal 8
Grob Gedackt 8
Flaut travers 8 (d)
Salicional 8
Oktav 4
Rohr-Flaut 4
Quint 3
Super Oktav 2
Terz 1.3/5
Mixtur 4 fach
Krummhorn 8
Vox Humana 8
Glockenspiel c' - f'''
Tremulant

III: RECIT/SCHWELLWERK

Bourdon 16
Geigenprinzipal 8
Bourdon 8
Flute harmonique 8
Viola di Gamba 8
Vox coelestis 8 (a)
Geigenprinzipal 4
Konzertflöte 4
Piccolo 2
Sesquialtera 2 fach
Grobmixtur 12-16 fach (outside of swell box)
Pein Jeu 5 fach
Basson 16
Trompette harmonique 8
Hautbois 8
Clarion 4
Tremulant

PEDAL

Offnerbaß 16
Violonbaß 16
Subbaß 16
Oktavbaß 8
Celo 8
Super Oktav Baß 4
Flötenbaß 4
Mixturbaß 6 fach
Posaune 32
Posaunebaß 16
Fagotbaß 16
Batrompete 8
Klarinetbaß 4
Cornetbaß 2

KOPPELUNGEN

I/II  III/II  IV/II  IV/I  IV/III
I/P  II/P  III/P  IV/P

(mixture of mechanical and electric couplers)

66 registers          5116 pipes

The organist here once told me that there are way more organ pipes in the small town of Amorbach than there are inhabitants, and yes, he wasn't wrong!

1776-82   SIMMERN (Hunsrück)  Stephanskirche   II/P-27
1934-35   Renovation and enlargement by G.F. Steinmeyer to II/P-32
               The organ still contains all of its original Stumm pipework
2007-09   Reconstructed and restored by Rainer Müller, Merxheim

Until next time, when I'll write about the third generation of this incredible organ building family.

With best wishes,
Ian.

revtonynewnham

Thanks again - I look forward to the next episode.

Every Blessing

Tony