News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Interest

Started by barniclecompton, October 04, 2010, 11:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barniclecompton

Just out of curiosity. How many people on the group have an interest in theatre organs?

Why are you interested?
    What got you interest?
    Where did the interest start?

Also, if you dislike them, why do you dislike them?
    Would love to read peoples comments!

dragonser

Hi,
in reply,
I don't know why I am interested ! :-\
I guess listening to the Organist entertains on BBC radio in the early 1970's must have had some effect ..........
I think that at the time I felt that the Church style of Organ playing was too formal.
[ note that this was probably due to the limited range of classical Organ music that I had been exposed to at the time ].

regards Peter B

revtonynewnham

Hi

I enjoy playing theatre organ when I get the chance, and also listening to the better players.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: dragonser on October 05, 2010, 02:14:10 AM
I think that at the time I felt that the Church style of Organ playing was too formal.
[ note that this was probably due to the limited range of classical Organ music that I had been exposed to at the time ].

regards Peter B

Dear Peter

I don't think you need be embarrassed about such things - whilst the classical organ is supreme, it's a sad person who cannot have a smile on his face when he hears someone whistling a pretty tune, even if they whistle it on a romping Cinema instrument. At one of our concerts last year, following Bach, I insisted that the encore was something else - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgYkHA128ws - sorry it's not a real cinema instrument but at least it's capable of reconfiguring to approximate the job.

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Quote from: David Pinnegar on October 07, 2010, 06:04:53 PMwhilst the classical organ is supreme,

Hi!

Oh dear - I'm being taken to task over this. Of course the Classical Organ is not supreme - it's just different - and actually I'm just as passionate about cinema organ destruction and preservation as with classical organs  . . .

Best wishes

David P

barniclecompton

then why say it then go on to say "Of course the Classical Organ is not supreme"??

KB7DQH

Notwithstanding all said above,  I discover minutes ago that Google left me a present in my inbox...

A blog about how to improve the "fan experience" at a local basketball venue and was intrigued by the comments that were posted in response...

http://www.blazersedge.com/2010/10/7/1736848/101-improvements

Especially as the earliest examples of the instrument we now call "Organ" was first used by ancient
Greeks and Romans at their sporting events...

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

And the use of the Hydraulos at Roman Gladiatorial games (Christian v. Lions etc) was one of the reasons that the church were relatively slow in adopting the organ for use in worship (i.e. a few hundred years).  (I know that other factors were involved).

Every Blessing

Tony