News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Inauguration weekend 16th April - Rieti - Most exciting organ for 3 centuries

Started by organforumadmin, April 01, 2010, 01:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NonPlayingAnorak

Sorry, wrong thread!

Anyway, to call this the most exciting organ in three centuries is, surely, to dismiss countless wonderful organs built since the dawn of the Romantic era?

KB7DQH

A good analogy would be to visit "Jurassic Park" and seeing a LIVE Tyrannosaurus Rex ;D

Unfortunately "Jurassic Park" is a fantasy brought to life on a movie screen...

This organ, on the other hand, was built from the "pedals up" with 300 year-old documentation, and using identical materials and tools as would have been done by Dom Bedos himself.

There are, however, some videos (with poor camera audio :'(  extant on Youtube of this instrument
being played prior to the inauguration...   and with a "forensic ear" one can "listen through" the nasty
camera audio... Not unlike digging up dinosaur bones and trying to figure out what the animal around that skeleton looked like ;)   

As good a "signal processor" as our brain is, this process is tiring to say the least ::)  Much easier to hear the real thing with real ears, provided one has "transportation"...

Eric
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Dear Eric

Sadly transportation failed us on account of the volcanic ash and visitors for this weekend from UK and Belgium including friends of the famous Formentelli organ builders couldn't come. I hope that we'll start to see good photos and hear good recordings.

QuoteAnyway, to call this the most exciting organ in three centuries is, surely, to dismiss countless wonderful organs built since the dawn of the Romantic era?

When I was young in architecture I loved the Gothic and loathed the Greek. Now I love the Greek and tolerate the Gothic. So it is with this series of organs. It's significant that the Albi pipework was comprehensible enough to the romantic era to have been "preserved" by incorporation into the romanticisation of the beast, restored by putting all the romantic stuff into another organ up the road . . . leaving . . . pure gold.

Best wishes

David P