News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

FOR SALE: TOA version of Classic ALTEC LANSING Voice of the Theatre SPEAKER

Started by David Pinnegar, October 16, 2010, 02:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

In the barn I have a gem of a classic speaker that I'm not using at the moment and would be happier being useful to someone. It's the classic and highly desirable Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre design as copied meticulously and made by the reputed PA speaker firm TOA in Japan.

http://www.audioworld.com/stat/pr/0305/28.altec.lansing.legacy.a7.loudspeaker.shtml

I don't want as much as $4000 for it! . . . but an appropriate donation would be helpful.

It's similar to

It has classic jack plug inputs to a built in 30Watt amplifier - on account of the extreme efficiency of the units, quite enough to fill a substantial space. It's not my favourite speaker but it is extremely good and is certainly good enough for outside or in large spaces. They were and are legendary speakers for a reason . . . !

http://mixonline.com/TECnology-Hall-of-Fame/altec-lansing-speakers-090106/ gives more information

One review:
QuoteWeaknesses:
None that I know of - but jealous people would argue that the horns are harsh or that they are not very good overall speakers.

Ignore haters - they only want to get their hands on a pair. If you can find a pair at ANY price - get them!

These speakers hold their own and no current speaker or vintage speaker can out perform these at ANY price!

Just one of these speakers would do better than pairs or multiples of others . . .

If any one is interested, please PM or phone me 01342 850594

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Yes - very nice speakers.  Designed for large spaces, where distance and room acoustics will tend to take the edge off the horn's characteristic harshness (not that these are particularly harsh).  I'd like to get hold of a pair for when I take my keyboard rig out - and for the occasional open-air event - but then, where would I store them?

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I am just about to sell this amazing speaker to a cinema for £950 but there are a pair on Ebay at the moment in addition from someone else. The horns are brilliant for organ trumpet stops . . .

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Hi!

The VOTT speaker went today to a cinema in West London.

We tried it against other TOA professional speakers, Mangers, Lowthers and Tannoys and it certainly has a presence demonstrated by none of the others. It's a huge speaker and designed to move huge amounts of air in huge spaces. Well worth keeping eyes peeled for others as certainly electronic organs are a potential use for them.

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Hi!

If anyone is in London, it would be great to know how the "beast" is sounding in cinema mode. Such a design may be relevant with Hauptwerk also. Testing the unit before it went to London was interesting - it was much more "alive" than conventional speakers...

Event details below

Best wishes

David P
YOU'RE INVITED TO ATTEND... and please forward on...

Wednesday 17th: THE CINEMA MUSEUM PRESENTS AN EVENING OF ATTARACTIONS. 8pm.(£4)

Imagine a secret collection encompassing every aspect of going to the pictures.
The Cinema Museum presents rare silent and sound film trailers, clips, and shorts, from its amazing collection.

Thursday 18th: POP UP SHORT FILMS EVENT. 8pm.(£5)

Angus Gafraidh and Pop Up collaborator James Static present a celebration of short films. 
Expect Q&As, an eclectic programme from comedy to the downright bizarre. Entry includes a  goodie bag, popcorn and more.

Friday 19th: THE SOUND OF FILMS present SOUNDTRACKS FROM THE SWINGING 60'S. 7.30pm. (£5)

Sound and image from original 60's-Flicks. Plus theatrical japes from Miss Dubois & her Crazy Hipsters.
Performance by The Title Sequence. Hosts Mr Simon and Mr Smith curate... Come, Dress Code - 60's Threads!.

Saturday 20th: SCALA FOREVER GALA NIGHT. 8.30pm.  (£4).

THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES (SPECIAL EDITION) (u) courtesy of Second Sight Films.
Dir:  Sergei Paradjanov. U.S.S.R. 1968. (78min)

Astonishing portrait of the 18th century Armenian poet, the 'King of Song.'
Each scene is like a celluloid painting, illustrated through a series of exquisitely orchestrated tableaux.
Celebrate the Scala with one of cinemas most revered and truly beautiful films.  NOT TO BE MISSED.

Sunday 21st, CINEMA PARADISO  (Interantional cut.)  (P.G) 8pm. (£4).

1988.  Fr/It 150mins. Dir: Giuseppe Tornatore. Starring Philippe Noiret, Jacques Perrin.

When Salvatore receives word of the death of his old friend Alfredo, his mind goes back to Giancaldo.
Thus begins ''Cinema Paradiso,'' the greatest film about love and the magic of movies.
Winner of the 1989 Cannes Jury Prize. We'll be giving a glass of Prosecco before the screening.

THE PORTOBELLO POP UP IS SITUATED UNDER THE WESTWAY.

IS A NOT-FOR-PROFIT DIGITAL MICROPLEX CINEMA, RUN BY VOLUNTEERS.

3 ACKLAM ROAD/ ENTRANCE FROM PORTOBELLO ROAD. W10 5TY.

TUBE: LADBROKE GROVE

WWW PORTOBELLOPOPUP.COM