News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

A small design for flexibility

Started by Brian Daniels, July 06, 2011, 12:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Daniels

My small practice organ was built in 1986 when I was doing a bit more organ playing than these days!
The requirement then, apart from the usual chorus was for two independent divisions for manuals giving tonal 
contrast for trio playing and that a CF at 4ft pitch be available on the pedal. The space precluded a 16ft flue on the pedal
and so a chest regal was the option chosen.

I ended up with the following two manuals CC -g and Pedal CCC - f . Wind pressure 2''

Manual II (top) Stopt Diap 4ft; Larigot 11/3; Unisub coupler (enabling a unison/sub octave transfer)
Manual I (lower) *Quintaten 8ft; Spitz Principal 2ft.    * (This is the stop which Colin Pykett kindly referred to recently) .       

Couplers: I to II;  I to Ped. II to Ped (independent of Unisub setting).

By using the Unisub for the RH on the top manual the is little risk of running out of notes and you have 8ft and 22/3 ft
against the LH of 8ft and 2ft on manual I for trio playing with the pedal coupled to manual I.
For CPs with the CF in the pedal at 4ft you couple the pedal to manual II which being independent of the Unisub gives the
standard 4ft and 11/3ft.

Full organ is played from the top manual with I to II.

The Regal is simply striking reeds in a chest made by lining a hardwood platen with splitskin and cartridge paper to minimise
rattle.

The whole thing is on a mobile frame and there are glazed doors at the front. Even with these open there is little risk of
a visit from the acoustic police!

Brian Daniels

Holditch

Hi Brian

It would be interesting to see a picture of your house organ if you have one?

Best Regards
Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

revtonynewnham

Hi

I'd be interested in a picture as well.  It looks an interesting solution to the problems of versatility - I've not come across the "Unisub" coupler previously, but it sound interesting.

I have come across the use of a Regal to provide the pedal 16ft, and found it surprisingly effective - that was on http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E00937 - a van Vulpen house organ which I played a few years back.  I'm considering free reeds for the pedals if I ever get my house organ build off the ground.

Have you sent details to NPOR?  We are trying to be comprehensive in our listings (and unless the info is in the public domain elsewhere, or the owner requests it, we don't publish the full address of current house organs, just town and "Private Residence".

Every Blessing

Tony

Brian Daniels

Thanks Marc andTony.

No it's not registered and didn't know it was possible nor do I know how to do it.
And, how do I get a picture on the site?
I am inwardly a computer recusant (and a bit lazy in regard to technology that's not analogue) although I have become reliant on the things over the years!

Brian Daniels

revtonynewnham

Hi

An e-mail to the NPOR office is all that's required -  manager@npor.bcu.ac.uk

If you want to use our survey form, that can be downloaded from the NPOR home page (www.npor.org.uk)

Every Blessing

Tony

Brian Daniels