News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

The "Variable Structure Organ"

Started by KB7DQH, October 26, 2010, 12:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

http://osvguillou.pagesperso-orange.fr/en/osv_4_en.htm

QuoteThus, the slightest movement of the finger is instantly relayed to the pallet by radio-waves.

Passengers are kindly reminded that mobile phones should be switched off at all times during flight and that all electronic equipment should not be used during take-off and landing . . .

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

But the page did say something about "coaxial cable"... I am "assuming" they plan on controlling this via Ethernet... At least that's how I would do it...

I have fought, and occasionally win, battles with RF compatibility...  Probably one of the best arguments around for building "all-mechanical" pipe organs, ones that use electricity only for wind and
illuminating the music rack...  Even at that I know of a Paul Fritts church organ which has provisions for
winding the instrument "the old-fashioned" way...  Thus a power outage wouldn't interrupt the music!

Moreover one would only have to worry about fire damage from a lightning strike...  Elsewhere on this forum I linked to an organbuilder's website on which is an excellent explanation for why with electric action instruments lightning protection of the power supply and proper shielding of the circuits which connect the console with the pipework is essential to the instrument's survival...

If you think a "toaster" is immune, think again-- Speaker wiring makes for an excellent antenna and audio amplifiers make wonderful "unintentional radio receivers" when presented with a sufficient density of RF energy.  Personal experience with insufficiently shielded and "earthed" equipment reveals that it doesn't take much at all to accomplish some interesting, but largely unwanted additions to your program material ;)  Additionally-- there are (by several orders of magnitude) a far greater number of semiconductor junctions which fail nicely when presented with thousands of volts of electrons flying about trying to "find ground" :o :o :o

The other consideration is the radiation of the control signals from such an organ into its immediate surroundings which may make the operation of wireless microphones used by other musical performers and vocalists problematic...  One hopes the engineers involved in this project take all this into consideration ;D

Maybe this is an example of a case where one should forgive "security" for "freedom" ???

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

If this organ is built in Europe (as is the plan), then the control systems will have to conform to the directives for the "CE" mark, which is supposed to keep interference, and susceptibility to outside interference in check.  Interference with modern radio mics shouldn't be too much of a problem - assuming reasonable engineering skill is used in the design & implementation.  A number of pipe organs are already using digital multiplex control systems, and I've not heard of any interference problems either from the organ builder side, nor the pro-sound side (which I also try to keep up to date with).

I did once have an interference problem when recording an conventional electro-pneumatic organ (a Wurlitzer).  I inadvertently ran my (balanced) mic cables above the floor which covered a run of action cables between console and chamber - running parallel to my mic cables - it added an interesting percussive effect to the start of every note!  The cables were quickly re-routed!

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: revtonynewnham on October 27, 2010, 03:18:11 PM
If this organ is built in Europe (as is the plan), then the control systems will have to conform to the directives for the "CE" mark, which is supposed to keep interference, and susceptibility to outside interference in check.

:-) Organists soon learn to turn off their phones when sitting at my console! Keyboard wiring is also a good aerial!

The reverse happens, however. A film company were in full swing the other day and the production department were having problems with broadband. So I plugged in the Three Mobile dongle into their wi-fi router. There was no signal. At the end of the day, the caterers unplugged their extension lead to their catering unit and hey presto! The mobile Three signal returned in full measure.

In truth, the more one thinks about this very creative project, the more fun it becomes. The idea of a Cromorne turning into a Trumpet at the other end of the spectrum is interesting and actually based on classical organs where the Cromorne is fruity and full in the middle and almost string like in the treble. This concept derives from one manual organs such as at Villefranche, without divided keyboards, where one can still play melody and accompaniment - and the trick is all in the voicing.

Best wishes

David P

Moretti Candotti

It's probably not that important as I don't think many people will see this thread, but as some of you may have suspected that the original website for this project is no longer available. But I have managed to get access to an archived version of the site through an internet archive called the Wayback Machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121115093815/http://osvguillou.pagesperso-orange.fr/index.htm//

David Pinnegar

Thanks so much for updating this link. A really interesting instrument.

Best wishes

David P

Moretti Candotti

You're welcome, and hopefully one day I could track down a specification for this organ.