News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Was a "touring" pipe organ, now on Craigslist...

Started by KB7DQH, November 04, 2010, 09:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/2040177349.html

Somewhere on the WWW I spotted a page, blog or whatever about this instrument... Looks like the owner is giving up on the idea of using it as a House organ, this is the second time I have seen it listed......

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

Jonathan Lane

Reminds me of an organ H&H built to do the same thing, a touring organ, but if I remember correctly it was a bit bigger!  Unfortunately I never possessed the wonder Elvin book about Harrisons, it was only ever on loan from the library so I can't check.

Jonathan

revtonynewnham

Hi

I remember seeing something about that one elsewhere - I think the organ still exists, albeit rebuilt form.  A few minutes web searching reveals it as http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N04178 - and subsequent surveys recording the changes.

Every Blessing

Tony

Jonathan Lane

This a seriously bizarre instrument even in its 'rebuilt' form!!

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Jonathan Lane on November 05, 2010, 04:56:12 PM
This a seriously bizarre instrument even in its 'rebuilt' form!!

Hi!

I'm not sure about that - it's recast in Harrison's standard school chapel configuration without the powerful Tuba on Choir and the Harmonics including the flat 21st removed.

I grew up on such an instrument and had the disadvantage of thinking that all organs looked like this . . . :-) Whilst being significantly despised in modern times, such instruments can have remarkable tonal qualities and need to be played with rather than against . . . and often using the octave and suboctave couplers imaginatively. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIl-LRafVO4 is an example.

Such organs are often endangered because people now don't always understand them.

Our recent member Stephen Best's page has many gems including
Quote"...play the organ at which you are seated. Do not just push keys and expect music to happen, but actually play the instrument. And don't attempt to make the instrument be what you wish it were... play it for what it is and utilize its strengths." (Bob Moody)

Best wishes

David P

Jonathan Lane

I don't know many organ stops however that have one pipe as in the pedal Bombarde, I assume it works on a similar principal to the Hope Jones Diaphone.  The only stop above 16' on the pedal is the Octave Tuba and the only reed on the Swell is at 16'!

J

revtonynewnham

Hi

Thanks for this - this was another touring organ that I'd heard of, but I couldn't remember exactly what.

Every Blessing

Tony