News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

A Unique Museum

Started by revtonynewnham, April 07, 2010, 09:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

Since I asked the moderator for this section, here's a post to get it off the ground!

The reed organ in its various guises is often the Cinderella of the organ world - but in fact it's a fascinating and very expressive instrument with a repertoire of its own - particularly the French-style Harmonium, with pieces by Cesar Frank, Guilmant, Karg-Elart, etc.

The "Victorian Reed Organ Museum" in Saltaire, near Bradford is the UK's only specialized museum of these organs, and is well worth a visit.  The museum is run privately by my good friends Phil & Pam Fluke and represents a lifetime of collecting and cataloging ( Apart from several reed organs of various types, they also have a large collection of music for reed organ).

Since Phil has another job, and is also busy with hirings of one of his Mustels (to the BBC or major orchestras quite often) it's best to ring first - 07976 535980 will get Phil.

If you do visit, let me know and if I can I'll meet you there - it's only a couple of miles down the road.

Every Blessing

Tony

KB7DQH

If one has the opportunity to visit Battleboro, Vermont, USA, one might have a look into the Estey Organ Museum, housed in the factory buildings where they once were built...

http://www.reformer.com/ci_18350090?source=most_viewed

QuoteHidden on the upper floors of the former Estey Organ Co. complex along Birge Street is part of the town's unseen heritage. Thousands of documents dating back to the turn of the 20th century and a countless supply of manufacturing gear that made Brattleboro famous still resides in the old unfinished rooms of the factory.

But more notably, an estimated 175 organs assembled in Brattleboro that were sold worldwide have slowly started to come back to town through donations. The town's historical society possesses about 60 different models -- the Estey museum has nearly 90 organs stockpiled in the same rooms in which they were produced more than a half century ago.

Quote"A reed organ is really just a big harmonica -- if you've ever looked into a harmonica you see the little brass reeds in there," Carnahan said.

Many of the older models have elaborate wood designs above the keys, others are designed for children. All have the iconic Estey Organ Co. marker inscribed on them.

"What we really want to do is to have at least one working organ of each type, and if you want to think about the different

categories of reed and electronic and pipe organs, you can probably come up with 40 or 50 different Estey models," Dann said. "And we'd like to have one of each."

He estimates they have half of the models and they are always keeping a lookout for lost organs.

But collecting them is not like collecting stamps. They are large, heavy instruments, fragile with age.

Museum staff are optimistic they can hold repair sessions, music understanding workshops and get the local school more involved with the company's history to save some of the organs.

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

wjoefox

I can vouch for Tony's recommendation - the Saltaire Museum is well worth a visit, even for someone who might not consider themself a reed organ fanatic!