News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Carshalton organ

Started by NonPlayingAnorak, November 10, 2010, 05:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NonPlayingAnorak

David, it would still be very much worth your while returning to Carshalton, if only for this:
http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=H00191

The church is a real hotch-potch: the South aisle is the old medieval nave, the outer South aisle is Georgian (IIRC), and, in the 19th century, the North aisle, which was in the same sort of state that your house was in when you bought it, was demolished, and a new nave with arcades and clerestory built in the early Perpendicular style to designs by Arthur Blomfield. A new chancel was also built. Later, the church was refurbished under Ninian Comper, and gained an astonishing rood screen (with loft and figures) and an even more astonishing west end organ gallery and organ case... the organ is a very fine Willis I/III hybrid (restored this year by Willis). Well worth going to hear, if they have anything on. Even if they don't, the furnishings alone make it worth the visit...

David Pinnegar

Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on November 10, 2010, 05:30:41 AM
David, it would still be very much worth your while returning to Carshalton, if only for this:
http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=H00191

It would be great to revisit that organ again. It was indeed that instrument that probably inspired my personal passion for the instrument at around the age of 5 or 6. Perhaps you might enjoin the priest in the direction of this forum and keep us up to date on organ recitals.

Perhaps this pair of posts might usefully be transferred to "inspirational instruments". I'd urge anyone in south east England reading this forum to take an interest in that particular instrument. Andrew Freeman's identification of it to illustrate his book was justified.

Best wishes

David P