News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Call for Hauptwerk users to join EOCS Electronic Organ Constructors' Society

Started by organforumadmin, April 12, 2010, 06:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

organforumadmin

Hi!

The 50th anniversary of the EOCS went well in London at the weekend - but there   were no Hauptwerkians. It reallly would be nice to have operating system   based technology people included in the Society.

"Why bother?" -   seems to be the tacitly asked question. . .

There is a lot of expertise there - and expertise in a generation who won't be about in 20 years time . . . and if we don't capitalise on their knowledge, we will be accursed to reinventiung wheels. We heard from   a near founding member too aged to make it to the meeting. He told us   in a recording which he sent in about the first decade of the society -   the fact is that all the commercial producers of electronics organs were   members - the founders of Makin, Wyvern, Earnest Hart of Copeman Hart -   and so the society was and is on the cutting edge of electronic organ   technology.

We heard from two people programming PIC   processors to play notes - could we get Hauptwerk on a PIC or collection   of PICs? We heard from a member solving keying problems and converting a   keyboard for digital use, and this could be of interest to pipe organ technology also, and I demonstrated speakers.

I demonstrated my   "sonic animal" - which in fact was light enough to carry on one arm   through London whilst carrying two other speakers on the other arm pulling a suitcase   of equipment. I demonstrated a couple of tracks of 'cello and piano and   then violin and organ so that people could verify that they were hearing   performances rather than hi-fi reproductions of performances. Then I   demonstrated an en chamade trumpet at various pitches. Through the   very high quality sonic animal, with floor vibrating bass and no colouration, the   trumpet sounded plastic.

Then I demonstrated other approaches to speaker design spcifically for electronic organs . . . including one that I call the   "Chinese Dragon" which looks as though it should have teeth . . . and, as a trumpet should do within 5 metres of   line of fire of an en chamade,   it caused a lady to cover her ears. It was real enough and blazing in tonality . . . .

Later on,   I was asked to demonstrate the CD quality recording of the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9usBggyS5Nk   soundtrack through the high quality "sonic animal" demonstrating the effect   that speakers can have in making a complete instrument.

We also enjoyed   an organ recital by one of our members on the pipe organ in the church   next door.

So Hauptwerkians would be welcome as Hauptwerk can be so helpful in electronic organ simulation and potentially in inspiration for the building of pipe organs. Others are working on PIC   processing of reverb also. It's a very dynamic atmosphere.

Best wishes

Forum Admin

revtonynewnham

Hi

I'd second that - I am a member of EOCS, and recently I've used the free version of Hauptwerk (the full versions is too expensive!)  I also use Miditzer.

Every Blessing

Tony