News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Heldenorgel as reported in The Organ magazine

Started by David Pinnegar, December 06, 2010, 06:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I do reccomend subscribing to The Organ magazine. It often carries interesting articles.

The current issue describes the Walcker organ in the Civic Tower of the Fortressof Kufstein in the Tyrol. It can be heard 15km away - truly an instrument of worthy of the area of Mad King Ludwig's domain. There is a one second delay from the sound of the instrument back to the console, so the main sound that the organist hears is through some small and distorting speakers fed by microphones in the pipe chambers.

Recitals are given every day at noon in July and August.

Manuals are Hauptwerk (Great), Positiv, Schellwerk nord and Schellwerk ost.

Wind pressure is 10 times normal pressures .. .

Clearly an instrument for Carol Williams to include on her travels!

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

I too would recommend "the Organ" magazine.  I've taken it regularly for about 20 years now - and have around 80% of the back numbers since it started publication in the 1920's.  It has changed somewhat over the years, but is still a good read.

Every Blessing

Tony

NonPlayingAnorak

But The Organ is no more... went bust last year! Or that's what I'd heard, anyway...

revtonynewnham

Hi

Reports of it's demise were vastly exaggerated!  It's still going, under a new editor, and is better than it has been of recent years.  There was a bit of a glitch last year, but so far, all seems to be OK.  I've had all 4 issues since the rumours - I did check with them, as I heard about its demise just after I'd sent off my cheque for the current year's subscriptions.  The article David mentions is in the latest issue, which arrived a couple of weeks ago.

Every Blessing

Tony