News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

An article covering much ground related to this subject area and then some...

Started by KB7DQH, December 14, 2010, 10:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec-now-prays-at-the-altar-of-secularism/article1836185/

It begins innocently enough--

QuoteIn the glory years of Christmases past, the pews of the Saint-Nom-de-Jésus Church in Montreal spilled over with 1,200 parishioners, their spirits lifted by the strains of O Holy Night on the mighty church organ.

This was no ordinary musical instrument: The 6,200-pipe Casavant was one of the world's largest, set in a sanctuary with 24-carat gold leaf decorations and stained-glass windows made in France.

I was particularly intrigued by the following comment...

Quote"It's not because you stop believing in Amon-Ra that you destroy the Pyramids," said Robert Cadotte, a psychologist and self-described atheist who is part of a community group fighting to save Saint-Nom-de-Jésus. The group is seeking private and public funds to turn it into a space for organ concerts. "We built this church with the sweat of our ancestors, and it's as if we want to destroy and bury it. But you don't destroy the soul of the neighbourhood. You don't take the most beautiful jewel of your heritage and throw it in the dump."

There are links to other articles in a series examining religion in Canada... from which the article above is but one.

Some really fascinating stuff being discussed...

Like...

QuoteHere's my humble contribution: It may be that atheists themselves are inadvertently affirming the existence of a loving God. Lao Tzu, the ancient Chinese sage, noted that a great leader makes his followers believe they've led themselves. In that sense, a scientist, humanist or atheist who chalks up all progress to the human mind could be showing what an empowering and effective leader God actually is.

Comments anyone????

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

NonPlayingAnorak

Very interesting. I have a friend who is a priest in West Sussex - Roman Catholic, a married Anglican convert (and if ever there was an argument for married Catholic priests, it's this chap and his wife), an organist of some capability (he was Asst. Organist at Rochester Cathedral many years ago) and Diocesan Organ Adviser to the Diocese of Affluence and Bourgeoisie (sorry, Arundel and Brighton) - he has a son, now about 40, who was recently ordained to the Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri (the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter), a traditionalist, Tridentinist society which split off from the Society of Saint Pius X (the Lefevrists), and he is now in charge of a busy parish somewhere in one of Canada's principal cities (unfortunately, I forget which!). I wonder if the FSSP might be interested in taking the place over?

David Pinnegar

Dear Eric

Thanks for posting this. Very intriguing. I'm sure that there is an enormous substance in "religious" sentiment that the Church is not harnessing by reason of being so exclusive rather than inclusive. What I have been demonstrating in other threads is how Christianity succeeded in the beginning by including all and sundry, only to be taken over by exclusivists and decline as a result. Or put in another way, put people off by being so insistent upon matters which need not be obstacles in people's path.

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

Yes, I couldn't possibly read the article and deny the opportunity for others to have a look and comment.  That would have been just plain selfish.  As there are a number of topics in the "Atheists corner" currently under discussion that this article series deals with I thought it deserved its place...
here ;)

Moreover the problems discussed in the article series are not unique to Canada and likely are equally
apparent in the "Christian-Western" realm, well, Europe and North America at least...

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

KB7DQH

And continues here...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/bad-vibes-for-pipe-organs-big-sound-small-audience/article1843070/

and begins with...

Quote"It's such a thrill to listen to this spectacular instrument," the avowed atheist said as she awaited the first reverberations of O Come, O Come Emmanuel. "Organs like this don't just fill the room – they become the room."

The surround-sound vibrations from the organ's 8,323 pipes have a different effect on her husband Andrew Selbie, who's just slipped into the pew from his office in the city's financial district.

"This is half-an-hour where I can acquire a Zen-like state that lets me disengage from the crap I have to deal with," he said. "The organ transports you to another place, it's like riding on a wave."

Soooooo......   Have I "busted a myth" or is our "avowed atheist" quoted above the exception rather than the rule ??? ??? ??? ???

Are there atheists who come to churches just to hear the organ ???

Eric
KB7DQH

Holditch

Dear Eric

I suspect there are a few, I being one as well as a full time organist (work that one out!)

I've being playing the organ at school then at church for 25 years now, there's plenty of time left for me to convert or not (as will would have it)

People should just love each other, thats my belief

Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice