News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Automatic organ player?

Started by wjoefox, December 27, 2010, 11:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjoefox

Hi all,

Something has just come on my mind: is it possible to put an attachment on to an organ manual that will automatically depress the keys to a particular sequence (i.e. hammers will press on the key), thus creating a way of a piece being played? How would such a machine have an input, if one exists?
Perhaps it could be similar to a pianola, but adapted to just a normal 1 manual pipe organ.

WF

revtonynewnham

Hi

There are several options - aside from barrel organs, the "dumb organist" device uses a barrel organ mechanism and pushes up to the organ keyboard where levers depress the relevant keys as the barrel revolves.

Fairground and street organs often use cardboard "books" with punched slots to actuate notes either mechanically or pneumatically - a larger scale version of the pianola action, which uses pneumatic control and was also used in pipe, reed, and even a handful of electronic organs by various makers such as Aeolian, Wurlitzer, Welte, and many others- there's even a 4m Willis with a roll player attachment in Blenheim Palace.  The rolls come in various sizes - depending on the size of the organ and the complexity of the musical arrangements.

In more recent years, MIDI players have been (and are) widely used for anything from small "busker" organs to record/playback devices on large church & concert organs.

Information on all of the above is widely available on the net and in various books - and many organs survive.

There's very little really new to invent!

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Hi!

There were "push-up" type pianolas made by Aeolian Orchestrelle among others.

Best wishes

David P

Barrie Davis

Hi

MIDI is the answer, I cannot see how it can be applied to tracker and pneumatic actions, I would be interested to know if there is a way.

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

It can be done - although with difficulty on pneumatics - you'd need to have some sort of pneumatic valve controlled by the MIDI signal - rather complex (shades of the Welte at David Saloman's in Kent).  Tracker is much easier - you add pull-dowm magnets (I gather that Laukhaff make them) - the MIDI interface drives these and they pull down the relevant notes.  The record function is easy - just a set of contacts on the keys and a MIDI encoder circuit board to drive the computer.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Thanks Tony

A system is about to be put in at St Peters Netherton with 3 usb points in the church to allow the organ to be used when theres no organist. I will reserve judgement until I have seen it operation.

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

Having had to use backing tracks on occasions, the main problems are:-
1) the lack of interaction.  A good organist will "bend" his tempo slightly - and (usually) take action if the congregation start to drag or race - the auto accompaniment just keeps going regardless!
2) I find that you need more volume to keep things together (or a well rehearsed choir/singing group - or even a lead singer - or a conductor (My main use was with a choir - it didn't work in the situation to play & conduct at the same time).  This obviously is linked with (1) above.

I've also once or twice used MIDI to do organ & piano duets - great fun.

I've also heard of these devices being used during communion, so the organist can take bread & wine.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi

I agree with Tony over tempo this is why the Wesley system is failing in so many Crematoriums at the moment the tempo cannot be varied.

Barrie

wjoefox

Thanks for all of your replies. Tony: the Laukhaff idea sounds good: could you please expand?
The organ is tracker.

Many thanks,
WF

revtonynewnham

Hi

Talk to your organ builder!  I only know about the magnets because I was thinking about this on my home organ - now scrapped as the windchest turned out to be beyond reasonable repair (I have the pipes and some future ideas).  The magnets are normally used in concert organs where a mobile console is required in addition to the tracker one.

Every Blessing

Tony

KB7DQH

I spotted such a contraption on an organ in the UK no less, built by university students and fitted to
a 2 manual tracker instrument in such a manner as to be completely removable if desired.  Used MIDI to drive a bank of solenoids arranged over the manuals to press the keys ;D

I'll dig it up...

Digging complete...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R9lAIS1l4w

QuoteCongrats - really useful. What solenoids are you using powerful enough to press the keys? Please can I buy a circuit diagram? You could go into manufacture. Members of the EOCS would certainly be interested in this.

From the comments section.  I won't embarrass the commenter any further ??? :o :P ;D ;)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."